The Mist Trail, Yosemite National Park, CA

3:47 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

The Mist Trail is without a doubt the most beautiful hike I have ever been on. This trail is comprised of two jawdropping giant waterfalls, Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall. My husband (Jay), friends (Blake and Ashley), and I did this hike on June 26, 2011.  The waterfalls were exploding! The trail is pretty tough! We followed The Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Falls (gaining about 2000 ft) and took the John Muir Trail back down to Happy Isles. This trail is also very dangerous (three deaths occurred here in July). The Mist Trail also leads to the summit of Half Dome if you continue to the left on the JMT just past  Nevada Falls.

JMT-Trailhead.jpg

JMT Trailhead

First-View-of-Vernal-Falls.jpg

First View of Vernal Fall

Mist-Trail-Stairs.jpg

Blake and Jay going up the SLICK stairs

Mist-Trail.jpg
starting to get soaked...you can see the water spots!

Mist-Trail-Canyon.jpg

Ash-and-Jay-Mist-Trail.jpg
Jay and I in front of Vernal Fall

True-Gore-tex-Test.jpg
The best test I have ever given my Gore-Tex! Getting HAMMERED by Vernal Fall!

Top-of-Vernal-Falls.jpg
Top of Vernal Fall and The Merced River

Vernal-Falls-Double-Rainbow-II.jpg
Side View of Vernal Fall with Double Rainbow

Blake-Silhouette.jpg

Silhouette of Blake

Liberty-Cap-Nevada-Falls.jpg
Liberty Cap and Nevada Fall

Merced-Mist-Trail.jpg
The Wild and Scenic Merced River

Nevada-Falls-first-view.jpg
Approaching Nevada Fall
Front-View-Nevada-Falls.jpg

Side-View-Nevada-Falls.jpg
Side view of Nevada Fall...this part of the trail was TOUGH

Jay-and-Ashleigh-Beside-Nevada-Falls.jpg

5:30 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Wow!  I've been to Yosemite once and didn't get to spend enough time in it.  It will be my next big back packing trip.

7:14 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

Great pictures Ashleigh! What a beautiful place….

7:35 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Thanks, guys! I will add more to it tomorrow and more Yosemite pictures.

Ocalacomputerguy, I don't blame you! It is amazing!

10:11 p.m. on May 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I'm glad to see you post a trip report.  I've seen some of the photos you uploaded and hoped you hadn't abandoned us.  

I was wondering where in Yosemite your avatar photo was taken at. 

You wouldn't happen to be redoing that roan highlands in June would you?  Gonzan is doing it the weekend of the 9th and I'm shooting for the 16th.  We're hoping to catch the rhododendrons and azaleas in full bloom.

8:49 a.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Great stuff, Ashleigh. 

I as well think it's great to see the trip report. You've got a bunch of good photos :) 

9:46 a.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Very nice tr Ashleigh. Yosemite truly is a beautiful place. 

12:04 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Thanks for the great pictures, I love yosemite. What a great place for your wedding and honeymoon, congratulations. As you can see in the picture below there was a little less snow commimg over Vernal Falls when I was there in January. You will also notice that there is no one else in the picture. because of the lack of crowds it was one of my favorite trips tp Yosemite.

th_2012yosemite044.jpg

1:54 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Continued from Original Report!

mouth-of-nevada-fall.jpg
Merced River turning into Nevada Fall

half-dome-sign.jpg

Sign where the JMT heads toward Half Dome

Blake-nevada.jpg
Blake overlooking Nevada Fall. There is no way to describe the waterfalls at Yosemite until you experience them up close and personal yourself!

ash-jay-top-of-nevada.jpg

nevada-flowers.jpg

nevada-rainbow.jpg

nevada-spray.jpg
Nevada Fall exlposion! As if these waterfalls aren't amazing enough by their sheer size and volume, they have rainbows and sometimes DOUBLE rainbows!

top-of-nevada.jpg

USGS-marker.jpg

USGS Marker at top of Nevada Fall

2:14 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

I really love these reports from places so far from home.  Thanks again A!

3:13 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Thanks again, guys! Makes me wish I was there again right now! :)

Ocalacomputerguy, the profile pic was taken at Glacier Point. I am actually thinking of doing a "trip report" of some of my wedding pics, since they are so unique! I am not sure about returning to Roan in June, I think my husband and I are going to try to do Mt LeConte in GSMNP in June...but it is always a possibility! I hope you and Gonzan enjoy your trips! I'll be glad to provide any insight! :)

3:16 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Gary C, your picture is awesome! Lucky you got to enjoy solitude on that trail. It was the biggest CF ever when I was there bc there were SO many people on it! I did enjoy it a lot more once we gained elevation and lost some of the crowd!

3:16 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Would you be willing to post a Trip Report from your Roan hike? Just being able to see where you camped, where you got water, etc. in the timeline of your trip would be wonderful.

4:43 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

sure! can't do it today, but I will get to it within the next few days or so! Since it's been almost a year, I can't promise it will be 100% accurate, but I'll give it my best shot!

5:17 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

That would be great, thanks! 

6:05 p.m. on May 2, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Liberty Cap looks like a nice climb. I'll have to see if I can  get down there someday. Nice photos.

8:08 a.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Ashleigh, my son and I are heading to Yosemite in 3 weeks.  Your pictures and comments are fantastic!  Thanks for sharing them.  I would love to hear your thoughts on hikes we should take.  I worked in Yosemite 20 years ago, but I've never really been able to visit for days on end.  I'm stoked!

4:03 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

Rango, have so much fun! You are lucky! I really don't think you can go wrong with any trail in Yosemite, all that I went on were amazing! Make SURE you contact the wilderness permit office ASAP to get overnight permits. I was not able to get a Half Dome permit, but if you try for a weekday you may be able to snag one if you act quickly.

You should definitely do The Mist Trail! Start ad early as possible to avoid the crowds! I also recommend the Pohono Trail. You can make this a day hike or overnighter (does require permit for overnight stay). The campsite at Inspiration Point is the best campsite I've ever stayed at. The trailhead is across the street from the Wawona Tunnel View parking lot. Yosemite Falla is also supposed to be an amazing hike. Honestly the best thing I can tell you is to get The Lonely Planet's guide to YNP, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia. It is incredibly helpful and descriptive. It tells you pretty much everything you need to know about hiking in Yosemite. One more piece of advice...make sure you take the Tioga Road across the park and visit Tuolumne Meadows on the way!

8:09 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,133 forum posts

You know the guys who built that Mist Trail had to reblast the granite away a few times to get the trail right. Brings back memories from when I stayed in Yosemite from January to May 1980. Winter camping at its best.

10:33 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
338 forum posts

I am glad that they did! I sure did enjoy hiking on it! That is cool that you were there for a lot of the development!

10:44 p.m. on May 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I'll second the Tioga Road.  YART has buses that travel the route in case you don't rent a car. 

I'll try to find some of the shots I took out the car window (we were in a hurry to get back to vegas) and post them.

10:40 p.m. on May 7, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Ocala, we'll meet you at the airport!

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply