Video: Palmetto Trail part 3

9:25 p.m. on May 4, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Well I have been working on my video skills and this video is better (and much shorter) than my other two I think.

I have a trip report in the works with photos, but here is some trail video for now.

5:10 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

That was great, Mike. Intro was nice and the music was better - more Country than Bluegrass ;-)

You can hear the train horn in the background, which is funny, a bit before you see it rumble past. Just a few seconds earlier and you would have had to dive out the way, I reckon.

Definite improvement and more relaxed, it seems. Gravel noise was loud for some reason, must be one of those things the microphone picks up, like wind and such.

Jon

6:04 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Pathloser,

Thanks for the feedback.

I did feel more relaxed; managing a camera, walking , and talking, is harder than I thought it was. All in time I guess.

I finally leaned how to manage the audio levels in my software.

I never heard the train whistle until I watched the video on my camera.

I have a hearing loss, but at the same time, you are right, the gravel sounds were picked up loud. So I'm not sure if it is just the camera's sensitivity -  or my hearing regarding the train whistle.

I am working to fine tune the intro & music, do you think the intro is too long?

I intent to re-render the first two videos into shorter run times and fix the audio.

I would just like to produce something fun to watch that illustrates what it's like to backpack my little corner of the world.

I have a lot of work to do to get there, and your input helps.

Any suggestions on music (or just sounds of nature?) would help too.

Thanks, Mike G.

6:43 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

I am working to fine tune the intro & music, do you think the intro is too long?

I thought it was fine. It would be nice to balance the walk in with a walk out clip at the end. And the walk in, toward the camera, would be better with a longer edit, so that you maybe walk fully out of the frame? So definitely not to long, IMO. I like those drive in clips as well, I think stuff like that really sets the scene (the ultimate narrative trope is 'the journey', after all).

I found the still photos in the intro were a tad too short in duration, maybe it was the lack of fade? It might be me but I like to look at still photos a wee bit longer than that, one more half-second each shot would definitely suit me (though it could be age-related focussing problems here!). Overall, the stills at the beginning were good - I watched that through again 'cause I wasn't sure but they definitely add to the narrative, though you might experiment with inserting them as well at the end or in between the video parts?

The only suggestion, music wise, would be more country or even southern blues, but that is just me ;-) Though I guess the music affects the mood, so it would have to be upbeat, unless it was foggy etc. This video seemed more 'fun' to watch and as I said, I am not sure if that is down to it being more relaxed or something. Fade in and out of the music is nicely done.

Some cameras have a 'wind filter' setting and there's probably a post capture software fix - I wonder if the gravel is a similar frequency or something? I don't think you will pick up birdsong anymore than you're doing when the mic in already pointing at you. You would probably have to direct a mic into the trees and overlay the audio separately after?

7:03 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Mike

Your video was very enlightening and entertaining. The intro was great with the pictures. Thought the music suited it really well. I liked your first one you did. I think personally that you seem at ease when talking and describeing the trail. Seemed like you wanted us to see and have the fun you were having and it worked...

8:11 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Pathloser,

For the intro I initially set the slideshow duration time to 2 seconds, but I shortened it to 1.5 I think. Maybe I should delete a couple photos and lengthen the time per photo. The stills used for the intro are from many different places in the Southeast US I have hiked, though I would like to insert some still shots between cuts that are of the particular area each video is shot in.

I think you are right about the walk in, and that there needs to be a walk out as well.

The music I find challenging. I know I should use music that appeals to a wide audience, then again I want to use music which reflects the areas culture & history. I have been using music from 'Creative Commons' with an attribute license.

On the camera audio settings, I have the camera set to "zoom microphone" and I need to experiment some with that so I can learn what setting works best in certain conditions. I probably should have set it different being so close to the camera (?).

Anyhow, you have given me some things to think about and to work on.

Thank you, Mike G.

8:22 p.m. on May 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Dennis,

Thanks for the kind words!

I had no idea how hard it could be to manage a camera and walk at the same time, haha, but I have always enjoyed telling people what it looks like where I went or what I had fun doing.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, if you have any ideas or feedback please don't hesitate.

thanks, Mike G.

2:56 a.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Mr. Trout, you are getting right handy with that technology!  I felt like I was right there with you and we'd turn and look this way, then that, then I wanted to run on ahead and see if the truck was alright.  Keep this up and you'll be the resident guru on the technique.  Really nice countryside.

8:30 a.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,263 forum posts

Very nice Mike. I agree with the others: you are rapidly gaining skill from one attempt to the next!

11:10 a.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Great video! What kind of camera set up do u have? I cant ever get the camera far enough away from my face. I gotta get some kind of a pole setup.

2:50 p.m. on May 8, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

I am just using a trekking pole with a Stick Pic camera mount. It works real good for me.

Mike G.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply