Back out after just 10 days

6:19 p.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I have returned to tow after 10 days on the trail in the Teton Wilderness. I decided I did'nt like carrying so much weight, mostly food for a whole month of pack.

Did see tho, 6 wolves,2 grizzly bears, one was a sow with 2 cubs, lots of elk, 5 deer, one with a fawn, 2 sand hill cranes, a moose and a beaver.

Found 3 moose antler, plan to retrieve them later (worth lots of money in Jackson Hole).

I am in town now and going to look for work tomorrow on, may stay in Jackson now and make it my home if I can find a good long job.

Snowed on us in the high country the last couple nights. My friend is staying out for another 3 weeks then resupplying and returning to the wilds. I think I prefer bike touring now to long trip backpacking. Was good to have  hot shower after 10 days of cold water. I smelled like smoke also, to mask my scent from the bear, (Hopefully).

Camera stopped working after the first week, hope to find a card reader to at least show a few pictures and video.

12:41 a.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
112 forum posts

Welcome back to civilization, Gary!

Like Clint used to say:  "a man's got to know his limitations!"

Sounds like you had a good time, saw a lot of good stuff, and are back on your personal path.  Looking forward to seeing those pics as soon as you can, and best wishes to your traveling partner from all of us envious folks back here at Trailspace!

7:30 a.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,276 forum posts

Yea, I can't imagine schlepping a month's worth of food - gotta be around 60 pounds right there, plus gear!

Ed 

1:51 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

Yes, my pack was about 65-70 lbs when we went in on the 1st. Was still about 40 when I came out and being the first time in ten years since I carryed so much it was heavy, I plan to stick to bicycle touring!

2:40 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Gary, I can't help but wonder how  you even do carry a month's worth of food.  Even 10 days at the oft-suggested 2lbs/day is 20 lbs.  I'm amazed that you carried enough for a month!

3:04 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

As soon as I am working again I will get the pictures from my nonworking camera onto a disk so I can share the pictures I did manage to take. My camera stopped working about halfway thru the 10 days. 

I have a Smith's Grocery interview as a Baker today at 2 pm.

3:12 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Oh, wow Gary.  I think you just reinforced my contemplation to bring along my iPhone as a backup camera on my upcoming trek.  I can't imagine going on this without getting photos along the way.  I had similar issues as you last year - on several different trips I had camera failures, but fortunately had the backup along.

3:17 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

bheiser said: Gary, I can't help but wonder how  you even do carry a month's worth of food.  Even 10 days at the oft-suggested 2lbs/day is 20 lbs.  I'm amazed that you carried enough for a month!

I was carrying granola and coco-crispies for breakfasts with powdered milk, Cheez-It crackers for lunch snacks and macaroni and Velveeta cheese for dinners. I also had instant oatmeal, instant hot cocoa, instant coffee, and instant Gatoraide mixes. My friend also shared some of her much heavier food stuff with me. 

Other than that my tent,pack,sleeping bag,pad,tarp and stove/fuel weighed about 13 lbs. Plus water 2 liter Nalgene bottles and a Camelbak 3 liter bladder (only used in camp and dayhikes).

I also had one set of clothing ,pants longsleeve shirt, tshirt, long( top and bottom) john's. 4 pairs wool socks and Teva sandals. 

Plus my small point and shoot Sony digital camera, spare rechargable batteries, small binoculars and a spare pair of eyeglasses.

I did not weigh my pack before leaving town, but I believe it weighed about 60-70 lbs. 

We hiked in about 5 miles and base camped, then did daily day hikes. So I really only carried the full pack in and out, but the plan was to go about 5 miles a day and camp every other week then return 10 miles a day on the return to the TH. We would have hiked in a total of 30 miles one way.

10:24 a.m. on June 16, 2012 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

"We hiked in about 5 miles and base camped, then did daily day hikes. So I really only carried the full pack in and out, but the plan was to go about 5 miles a day and camp every other week then return 10 miles a day on the return to the TH. We would have hiked in a total of 30 miles one way"

Now that's the way I do it! But I lighten my food load by eating what I find along the trail. My guess would be 1/4 - 1/3 of all my food comes from the earth. Sometimes it will take me hrs to find the food, but for me that's part of the fun. 

4:10 p.m. on June 16, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Look forward to the photos Gary.  Hope the interview went good.  I can only imagine the difference between bike camping and backpacking!  Biking has to be so much easier.  But then you can't really explore the same areas. 

Keep at it and enjoy life, that's all that really matters.

Wolf

7:35 p.m. on June 16, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

How did the interview go?

12:31 p.m. on June 18, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,071 forum posts

I have a second one today, a second one at Alberstsons baking also and two other cooking job offers.

Bike packing is much easier and I do what I call Bike/hikes where I choose route that allow me to stop along the way to do hikes like the 5 day hike I did on my way from Tucson to Flagstaff in April when I hike the length of West Clear Creek Wilderness between the Mogollon Rim and Clint's Well, AZ.

Someday I would like to use my bike to place food caches along the Hole In The Rock Road vis my bike using the square pannier pails, west of Escalante Canyon in southern Utah. I would pack each with two weeks worth of food then ride back up to Escalante town and hike down the canyon, when I get to east of the first cache I could hike up and take one weeks worth, hike on down the Escalante River to the second cache, take one weeks out and continue down to the edge of Lake Powell. Its 90 miles from the town down the river of the Escalante. Then turn around and do the same thing going back retrieving one weeks worth at each cache and be able to spend 30 days hiking down and back or 180 miles.

5:08 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Sounds like a good trip even if ya cut it short. If your not having fun and enjoying yourself why continue? The mountains will always be waiting for your return on better terms.

The Escalante Canyon trip sounds like a good adventure, hope ya get to do it oneday.

Well.................... did ya get the job?

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply