About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Jun 16th-18th/Rt31- Rt653 on the LHHT(started sunny, ended soggy.)

12:21 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I was able to get away for a few days of on-trail time. 

I decided to do a SOBO trip from Rt31 to Rt653:

image.jpg
My Wife dropped me off at the Rt31 parking lot, I donned Big Blue, and made the 1.5 mile hike to the Rt31 shelter area. 

After I eat a snack(meal to most people) I decided to do a bit of exploring(looking for bugs and critters.)

Instantly I made 3 new friends.
image.jpg

Red Spotted Newt:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Apheloria Virginiensis(large millipede.) These secrete a cyanide compound as a defense. If you handle one wash your hands immediately afterwards(do not rub your eyes, stick your fingers in your mouth, pick your nose, etc:)

image.jpg

So after I am done playing with bugs and other various critters I finish setting camp and hang my bear bag:)

image.jpg

As the night went on I noticed that the moths were magically drawn to my Leki poles:

image.jpg

So after the fun and excitement I crash out and call it a night. 

Sunday morning was beautiful. I made my way out of the Rt31 shelter area and back to the trail:

image.jpg

Along the way I found the perfect companion to pace myself with:

image.jpg

Everything is just so green up here. Alot different from when I was up here in February:

image.jpg

The Trailspace hat wanted a pic on the mile marker:

image.jpg

Then Big Blue wanted one of his naps so the Trailspace hat & the Leki poles decided it was a good time to join in for an early afternoon siesta:

image.jpg

I then made my way through Seven Springs ski resort:

image.jpg

Decided to take a "flower power" pic along the way:

image.jpg

As I was making my way to Grindle Ridge shelter area there is a shooting range close to the trail. 

These signs were up for the LHHT Ultra race:

image.jpg

I make my way trough the barrage of gun fire to Grindle Ridge and set up camp around 2pm:

image.jpg

Nothing really exciting this evening. The weather was beautiful. I pulled out my pad and just laid there relaxing for the rest of the afternoon well into evening. 

As you notice in the above pic I have the Hille fully guyed out. There is a reason for this. 

At around 9pm the weather did a complete 180 for the worst. I spent the rest of the evening pinned down in my tent with alot of rain and high winds. 

So I woke up in the morning(Monday/day 3) and the rain was still coming down in buckets. The Hille passed this test w/o a hitch. 

I have to say that ventilation was very good in this shelter for this type of weather(temps at night was in the mid to low 50s.)

...the next morning...

I then waited for a window in the weather so I could get packed up and on my way.

I pulled the inner out of the Soulo so I could pack the inner separately from the rest of the wet tent plus this gave me a larger area to get my gear packed while still being protected from the elements(this is one of the many reasons I am so fond of using a footprint:)

(welcome to "Camp Catastrophe." Where the storm outside your tent is minor in comparison to the storm going on inside.)

image.jpg

As I am packing I decide its time for some oatmeal and go-go juice:

image.jpg

All of a sudden I see sun... Huh? What is this? Better get packed up. I know this isn't going to be around very long: 

image.jpg

No sooner then I get back on the trail the thunder, wind, and rain kicks back up. Go figure.

Singing in the rain(Gene Kelly would be proud:)

image.jpg

After about 3 miles of tromping in yet another wash-out the weather clears. 

I then make my way through an area that has various rock slots:

image.jpg

As I make my way passed the vista over-looking Middle Fork I once again hear thunder, the winds are kicking up, and the sky is dark. 

(I just knew the sun wouldn't last lol:)

image.jpg

I then make my way to Rt653 to get picked up.

And so it ends...

image.jpg

Over-all it was a great trip. Very nice weather in the beginning and not so nice weather towards the end.

"Started sunny, ended soggy."

I gotta say; I have an odd appreciation for hiking in the rain during the warmer seasons. 

As always I found myself somewhat saddened when it all came to an end and look forward to the next time I will get back out there(which will be soon.)

The knee feels great and I am ready for a longer trip. 

Thanks for taking a look. 

Until next time....

12:43 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

"I make my way through the barrage of gunfire", LOL.  Wow, sounds like quite a trip! :)  Anyway it sounds like you had a good trip in spite of the weather.  Or maybe the weather was a good thing to justify carrying the bomb shelter, aka Hille! :)

12:45 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, anything justifies carrying the Hille. Well maybe not 100+ degree days and nights in the 90s. ;)

12:53 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

haha, true.  But the Spur is going to feel neglected if you don't take it out soon...

12:54 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

or put another way.. does the Spur know you're sleeping with another tent?  :)

12:58 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

It does...

They do get in their spats while being stored next to one another but I try to treat them equally.

The Spur will go on the next trip with me. 

1:02 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

OK, good! :D

1:18 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I wanted to take the Hille out in milder weather so I can get on a review for it. 

The Copper Spur 1 is still my "go-to" warm weather tent. 

1:23 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,018 reviewer rep
1,208 forum posts

Yup, it's ideal for that.  Mine is going to be my JMT tent too.

1:30 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

funny stuff guys...

Thanks for the report Rick! The Hille looks quite roomy with just the shell.

1:34 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Patman said:

funny stuff guys...

Thanks for the report Rick! The Hille looks quite roomy with just the shell.

Some say it would be suitable for 2 and I suppose if ya want to spoon it would be. Even head to toe it would be tight. 

A palace for one though. 

Basically with the fp ya have a single wall shelter. 

10:18 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
908 forum posts

Looks like it was a pretty good trip.  Love the dancing in the rain pic.

10:56 p.m. on June 19, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

Looks like it was a pretty good trip.

Anytime I get out and away from the hustle & bustle of the city it is a good trip. ;)

Love the dancing in the rain pic.

Thanks, it was definitely wet. By the time I got picked up I was pretty much soaked. 

The sky would clear up and I would take off the rainwear then all of a sudden the sky would let loose again. 

Mother Nature had alot of fun with me the last day. 

2:16 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
72 reviewer rep
1,045 forum posts

Nice trip report. I see you must have gotten good info for your review with the weather. Nice and green on the trail Rick.. Looks like a great time...

3:29 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

denis daly said:

Nice trip report. I see you must have gotten good info for your review with the weather.

Yeah, unlike my Feb trip(called for wind and I ended up with a foot of fresh snow and winds) the forecast was pretty accurate. 

Nice and green on the trail Rick.. Looks like a great time...

Definitely very green and lush. The ferns haven't overtaken everything yet which they will as the season goes on... 

Most certainly was a great trip. 

Thanks for taking a look denis. 

3:49 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
195 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

I usually unhook my Hilleberg into two separate pieces but only on the morning of the last day of a trip---to make drying and storage easier when I get home.  Rarely if ever do I unhook the two just to keep the wet fly from soaking a dry inner.  They both end up getting wet faster but hooking/unhooking every day (when wet) is a big pain in the buttocks.

4:02 p.m. on June 20, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That was pretty much my approach. I was getting picked up the evening that I separated them for the same reason's ya stated Tipi.

I have to agree that unhooking and then reattaching the inner would be quite cantankerous if done day in day out. 

I sure wouldn't want to do it. 

Part of the reason I purchased the fp for the Soulo was I could utilize the shelter as a single wall being the fp doesn't ever really have to be removed from the tent. 

It attaches the same way as the inner through the ground level rings on the outer tent. 

10:10 a.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Great to see your ailments are healing and letting you hit the trail again, Rick! 

Nice trip, I actually like being out in "adverse" weather as well (to a degree, of course, Lol!)

The area with the rock slots is so cool. I love places like that. 

I really like red spotted newts, they are just fantastic little buggers. You'll wan't to wash your hands after handling one of those as well, they also release a poison from their skin! 

6:01 p.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

Nice trip, if rather soggy. 

A rule I remember from the law enforcement academy "incomming fire has right of way"

7:16 p.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Great to see your ailments are healing and letting you hit the trail again, Rick! 

I think it is safe to assume from feeling that the knee is back to 100%(or pretty close to it.) I am once again off to the races as far as upcoming trips go...

Nice trip, I actually like being out in "adverse" weather as well (to a degree, of course, Lol!)

It does have its benefits. Things are so much different when the rain and wind is blowing across the ridge. I passed an older gentleman on the trail w/his grandson who was working on a merit badge for scouts. Very nice guy. 

I chatted w/them for around 30min or so. I always love to see the younger ones out on the trail. 

The area with the rock slots is so cool. I love places like that.

The LHHT has a plethora of those type of areas. Gotta watch, some are kinda narrow and will wreak havoc on pack side pockets if ya don't pay attention.

I really like red spotted newts, they are just fantastic little buggers. You'll wan't to wash your hands after handling one of those as well, they also release a poison from their skin! 

I was aware of that. Totally forgot to mention it though. Thanks for pointing that out for others. The whole "brightly colored" thing. 

7:20 p.m. on June 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

FromSagetoSnow said:

Nice trip, if rather soggy. 

It felt oh so good though. Plus it kinda put a dent in the stink factor. :p

A rule I remember from the law enforcement academy "incomming fire has right of way"

I am sure not one to argue that point lol. 

4:44 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice TR, Thanx!

Glad to hear the knee is better and your out-n-about again.

Ya most def need to get the Spur out.....and soon. Everytime I get near where mine is stored I can hear it whinning. Poor thing wants out so badly...

10:14 p.m. on June 23, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice TR, Thanx!

Glad to hear the knee is better and your out-n-about again.

Ya most def need to get the Spur out.....and soon. Everytime I get near where mine is stored I can hear it whinning. Poor thing wants out so badly...

Yeah, I gotta get it out there soon. I kinda feel like I truly am neglecting it. If I don't get the use out of I I should I may just end up snagging up a new fly and putting a for sale sign on it so someone else can enjoy it.

I dunno. I am kinda leaning toward getting 2 more tents. A larger 3 season and a larger 4 season...

Nothing certain yet but we shall see... I may even keep it. I just don't see the sense of it sitting around when someone else could be enjoying it.

11:06 p.m. on June 28, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I would'nt get rid of it just yet. That UL option is always a nice one to have.

I enjoy my 2 man for those short trips when the weight aint such an issue and the extra space is nice. But that Spur takes the cake for those longer hauls.

Heck all of my goodies are just sitting collect dust right now, but I know I'll get back at it soon enough so nothing going on the market!

10:46 a.m. on June 29, 2012 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

bheiser1 said:

HA HA HA HA!!! That made me laugh out loud!

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply