North Cascade Canyon in the Tetons

9:24 p.m. on July 10, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Just spent 3 days and two nights hiking up Cascade Canyon to North Cascade Creek, Lake Solitude and up to 11,700 feet at Paintbrush Divid yesterday in between the two nights.

I began by bicycling 20 miles to the Jenny Lake area then a 8 mile hike into the camp area. Then a 10 mile day hike round trip yesterday. Then hiked out today the 8 miles and biked back 20 miles to town. Will soon load the images and tell about the hike tomorrow.

Saw moose, a porcupine, deer, marmots. pika and a family of rocky mountain goats.

10:24 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Sounds great, Gary!  Did you get any photos?

I wasn't able to include Paintbrush Divide or the North Cascade Canyon section in my trip, something I will have to remedy someday :)

12:48 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

image.jpg

Yes, I did gets lots of pictures. Will have to do the trip report later as it took most of my one hour here at the library to load them. But here is one of the shots of some Rocky Mountain Goats I saw on Monday.

I will get back online later at another location to work on the photos and trip report.

12:56 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

image.jpg

Entrance into Grand Teton National Park with my bike loaded with my gear for my hike.

image.jpg

After a few miles heading up Cascade Canyon.

image.jpg

The main Teton mountains from my camp.

image.jpg

The avalanche drainages still covered with snow.

image.jpg

My campsite a mile below Lake Solitude looking south at the Tetons.

image.jpg

A Hoary Marmot along the trail.

image.jpg

First view of Lake Solitude at 9,035'. Nice reflection at 7 am.

image.jpg

After a walk around to the north end of the lake I look back at the Tetons and snow covered ridges.

image.jpg

From farther west ice still is on the lake.

image.jpg

On my way up to Paintbrush Divide I spot these mountain goats (out of focus  in lower center.

image.jpg

After getting closer along the trail they peer out from the roack above me. A Ewe (L) and a kid with a older sibling below right.

image.jpg

Looking back down on Lake Solitude from about 9000 feet and the snow covered slopes. It was on July 9th I took this image.

image.jpg

Other hikers ahead of me against the snow covered peaks. I am at about 11,650 feet here.

image.jpg

From Paintbrush Pass looking northwest on Jackson Hole, Jackson Lake and into the headwaters of the Yellowstone country on the horizon.

image.jpg

Snow cover points above 11,00 feet. Teewonot is the blue peak in the center.

image.jpg

Paintbrush Divide 11,700 feet and Mt Moran.

image.jpg

Tiny high alpine flowers. Each only a 1/4 inch across.

image.jpg

Back at camp looking on the Alpen Glow on the ridge above camp.

image.jpg

Alpen Glow on the Tetons.

image.jpg

Early the next day looking back up North Cascade Canyon.

image.jpg

Talus slope and limestone ridge line above main Cascade Canyon.

image.jpg

The mountains are filled with melting snow off the Tetons.

image.jpg

Crystal clear water of Cascade Creek.

image.jpg

Looking back up Cascade Canyon from near mouth.

image.jpg

Jenny Lake and the Gros Ventre range (Grow Vont)

image.jpg

Inspiration Point on west Jenny Lake and the Gros Ventre range.

image.jpg

Teewonot Mountain.

image.jpg

Mount Moran

image.jpg

Back on my bike to Jackson along the Teton range, Grand Teton in the center.

image.jpg

Back in Jackson at one of the Elk antler arches on the town square park.

I will show more views later from the hike.

10:18 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Awesome, Gary! I can't wait to get back there sometime :)

12:06 p.m. on July 13, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Here are the rest of the shots I went back and rotated.

image.jpg

A log jam along lower Cascade Creek Canyon.

image.jpg

Waterfalls from still melting snow in Cascade Canyon.

image.jpg

Cascade Creek meanders its way down the canyon.

image.jpg

Teewinot Mountain above lower Cascade Canyon.

image.jpg

Lower Cascade Canyon Creek near the mouth.

image.jpg

Looking back up Cascade Canyon at a un-named peak near the canyons split.

image.jpg

Whitewater below an old log jam in Cascade Creek.

image.jpg

Mt Owen and the East Prong above Cascade Creek.

image.jpg

Mt Owen, the East Prong and Teewinot Mountains (R-L)

image.jpg

Grand Teton and Mt Owen from the upper Lake Solitude trail.

image.jpg

North Cascade Creek below where it emptys from Lake Solitude and a un-named 11,270' peak.

image.jpg

Lake Solitude (9,035') and its snow covered Littles Peak (10,712')

image.jpg

U shaped glacier formed North Cascade Canyon with Mt Owen and Grand Teton.

image.jpg

Shooting Stars, Indian Paintbrush and other wildflowers along the edge of the Paintbrush/North Cascade Canyon trail.

image.jpg

Two backpackers walk across the snow field below me (lower center) with Mt Woodring above  (11,590'). Taken from Paintbrush Divide (11,700').

image.jpg

Back in camp the rising moon above Teewinot (L), Grand Teton (C) and Mt owen (R).

image.jpg

Sunrise the next day from my camp.

image.jpg

Un-named peaks west above camp.

image.jpg

Packed up and ready to leave camp. A porcupine kept me awake all night coming to try to nibble on my pack every 10-15 minutes. I sprayed it with my bear spray the third time but it didn't seem to bother it and it continued to return. At 6 am when it was getting light it stopped coming and I finally got some sleep, waking at 8 am and decided to head down the trail.

I spent two nights out, but had a 4 night permit. The North Cascade canyon faced south so it got lots more sun than the South Cascade Canyon did. I had planned to go into it but other hikers said there was still lots of snow. So I will try it later in the summer.

12:33 a.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Fantastic trip, Gary!  Beautiful shots.  Thanks for going to the trouble of getting online and sharing with the rest of us "envious" people.  How are you getting by living in Jackson Hole?  Does it look like you'll stay there for a while?  I surely admire your adventurous spirit, and wish you well!

12:51 p.m. on July 14, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,154 forum posts

Well at the moment I am camping out to save rent money. I am mixed still whether I will stay for the winter and try to settle down. I'd really like to but after 35 years on the road and trail its hard to do it. After a few months in one place then moving on has been my motto for so, so long. But afterspending 3 days to 10 days hiking backpacking trip and a month on the road cycling last spring, and being at 56 now. I think I would like to stop and make a life here in Jackson Hole and the Tetons.

Guess I will have to wait and see what comes as I always have.

7:54 a.m. on July 15, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Nice pics. A guy like you might not have to really settle down. Look into starting a small guide service for hiking and biking. Its something you love doing, others are just starting and would like to get into but not sure where to start.....

At your age you may have to slow down a little though,,,,,,, so the client could keep up :-)

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply