Just another Rockies walk (Bald Hills)

4:57 p.m. on August 28, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Me and three friends met in Jasper for a weekend of hiking - nothing too dramatic, but some great views, a bit of exercise, and a wonderful trail or two. Two mountain tops in two days, but nothing much higher than 750 metres of elevation gain.

First up, the Bald Hills, one of my all time favourites. The trail starts at Maligne Lake, home to sightseeing boats that cruise its length filled with tourists (at $55.00 each), but quickly starts to climb following the path of an old fire road. That leaves the jeans-and-sneakers crowd behind and we were soon alone. Except for a deer or two...
image.jpg
The trail passes an old corral and hostler's cabin
image.jpg
then a long steady grind through the forest begins. A few views on the way up (see Opal Hills TR from couple of weeks ago - now snow-capped)...
image.jpg

image.jpg

but mostly a steady slog. The gradient is steep, but not enough that you couldn't drive a quad up there if you had to.
image.jpg

image.jpg

We met a second mule deer on the way up, like the first one quite unafraid and it actually followed us for a few hundred metres!
image.jpg

Obviously, someone's been feeding them.
image.jpg
The views started improving, and while the weather seemed a bit 'iffy' patches of cloud gave way to bluer skies.
image.jpg

image.jpg After about 450 metres of elevation gain, we finally reached an old fire lookout. Here's where most tourists turn back, once they get a view of the Maligne valley below.
image.jpg
image.jpg The REAL trail continues, though, crossing below a higher plateau, then heading for the summit...
image.jpg  It fades out on the tundra and eventually turns into a bit of a scramble. 

image.jpg Too late for the summer flowers, but nice views on every side.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Finally, the summit...

image.jpg
image.jpg and we stopped for a snack.
image.jpg
image.jpg and a photo op or two. We were harassed continually by golden-mantled ground squirrels, who were so salt deprived, they actually tried to drag away a sweater and steal the packs.
image.jpg
image.jpg Maligne Lake below, where the trail starts. About 700 metres of elevation gain over about 15 km.

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

The section from the lookout to the peak adds only about 150 extra metres, but the nice thing about the Bald Hills is that you're not done yet! There is a nice little ridge to the east and north that lets you bag a couple more minor peaks before you go back down.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Down one ridge, then up the next...
image.jpg

More animals, this hoary marmot sunning on a rock
image.jpg had all the best views...
image.jpg Looking back the way we'd come

image.jpg

then another little peak.
image.jpg

image.jpg Views of the unspoiled valley on the other side of the ridge...
image.jpg
image.jpg and still another peak.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg A few last photos, then back down again...
image.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

The total hikes takes about 4 hours but we spent some extra time on the top. Made it back to town in time for a swim at the local pool, and supper in town before returning to our campsites for the night.

Just another glorious summer day in the Canadian Rockies.

9:40 a.m. on August 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
515 forum posts

I'll take exposed ridgelines over forests any day!

10:34 a.m. on August 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,258 forum posts

stunning pictures Peter! very cool

10:52 a.m. on August 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

rob5073 said:

I'll take exposed ridgelines over forests any day!

That's why I like it. The fire road walk is boring, but the rewards once you get there are great!

11:42 a.m. on August 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So the squirrels were plotting on stealing a pack? Hmmm...

I guess going heavy does have it's advantages. I could see them trying to run off with mine. 

Then running off to a chiropractor. 

5:33 p.m. on August 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

They tried, Rick. Just watching one little guy tugging at a pack strap to see if he could drag it off into his hole was kind of funny, but the one who started nibbling on the sweater almost succeeded!

September 3, 2014
Quick Reply