North Shore (MN) Fall Hiking Trip (9/15 & 9/16) Oberg Mountain

12:17 a.m. on September 23, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

If you have ever been to any of many scenic spots along Minnesota's north shore of Lake Superior you know how magical it can be in the fall. My wife and I had a great weekend trip there recently where we did some fun hikes. I will break this into three parts.

The first hike was to Oberg Mountain near Lutsen. This is one of Minnesota's iconic hikes. On a nice weekend day in the fall you can expect to share the trail with others but it is worth it for the expansive views of Lake Superior and the great forest views of the Sawtooth Mountains.

The fall colors should be peaking within the next few days.

A partial cut and past from the post on my blog trailpotato.com

Bottom Line4.5 out 5 Boots. A fun moderate hike full of great views; about half of which are of Lake Superior and half are of the inland forest. At 2.3 miles you might spend more time taking cool pics than you do hiking. Suitable for all trailpotatoes including the young ones. One of the great fall color hikes on the North Shore! Looks like a fun area to explore on snowshoes or cross country skis too.

9:36 a.m. on October 3, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

trailpotato said:

Looks like a fun area to explore on snowshoes or cross country skis too.

Remember when snowshoeing that you can go half as far and half as fast.

Looking for the rest of the hikes from that weekend. Photos?

11:10 p.m. on October 3, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

And you sweat your butt off because you have at least 5 or so pounds more strapped to your feet.

11:21 p.m. on October 3, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Thanks Peter. Yup, snowshoeing will for sure be a bit slower. However, its a relatively short one so time shouldn't be a problem for most. There are three complete posts on my blog trailpotato.com that have pics. The other two are about Mt LeVeaux and Gooseberry Falls and can be found on the Trail Guide page. I would provide a link but the tool bar won't let me.

9:58 a.m. on October 4, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

dm1333 said:

And you sweat your butt off because you have at least 5 or so pounds more strapped to your feet.

MSR Evos, 3.4 lbs for a pair, so 1.7 lbs each. But yeah, it makes a difference.

Try not to sweat. That's how you freeze when you stop.

10:15 a.m. on October 4, 2012 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

Peter, allow me a little journalistic license, please!!!!!!

trailpotato,  keep up the reports.  I'm being transferred to Muskegon, MI and have been looking for places to go backpacking.  Was this hike on the Superior Trail?  In addition to heading to Isle Royale I want to hit both the Ice Age Trail and the Superior Trail so any reports are appreciated!

11:19 a.m. on October 5, 2012 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Thanks... I have plans to add more as time allows. There are a couple others on my site too. One for IR but it is more about my engagement on a backpack than a trip report. IR is awesome... go before the wolves are gone. I was lucky enough to see one once. Yes, Oberg is part of the SHT. So are the Mt LeVeaux and Gooseberry (part of it) ones on the TrailPotato. 

You should for sure do Isle Royal and Superior Hiking Trail. The Ice Age is on my list as are the porkies. Be curious to hear what you think if you do them.

Good luck with your move!

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply