On Hangover Mt with Gonzan and Quillen

1:33 p.m. on October 17, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,195 forum posts

4 Days with John Quillen, Gonzan and the Southern Highlanders

October 12-15 2012

My October is occupied with selling a doublewide trailer and moving into a house several miles away but still in the vicinity of the mountains of TN and NC, and so in the tumult of relocation I'm able to squeeze out a ridiculously short trip into the Citico wilderness and Hangover Mt to meet up with Trailspacer Gonzan and John Quillen and his Southern Highlander boys.

John is notable and a hero for trying to stop the GSMNP from targeting backpackers with overnight fees and reservations needed at all campsites.  He's my hero anyway.

image.jpg

My trip begins at Beech Gap in TN where I leave the car and hoof it to the trailhead a couple 100 yards away but stop for this view off Beech Gap into the Unicoi Mountains.

image.jpg

Here I am on the Fodderstack trail from one gap to another and then comes a thousand foot climb over Bob Mountain.

image.jpg

After the hump is over I take a break in wet autumn leaves and it's sad to know this trip is too short.

image.jpg

A short 5 mile day gets me to the high gap at Naked Ground and the weather is perfect.  My pack is uber light with only 4 days of food but I end up fasting for 2 of the days and I actually have 10 days worth.  Old habits die hard.  I'm an idiot.

image.jpg

WHERE THE HELL AM I??  The first of the Highlander boys, Dave, shows up and he consults the Citico/Slickrock paper map.

image.jpg

On Day 2 I leave Naked Ground and stay on Four Mile Ridge to this great campsite near Hangover Mt in Saddle Tree Gap.

image.jpg

A short dayhike from my camp and I find John Quillen and his Highlander boys.  They are camped all over the mountain but mainly in the clearcut.

image.jpg

It's always good to meet up with liked minded backpackers.

image.jpg

Here's a pic of the Ohio Faction of the Southern Highlanders (photo from John Quillen).

image.jpg

Hangover Mt group shot (John Quillen photo).

image.jpg

A new inductee to the Highlanders is Slapnuts, who must pass a series of intricate tests to be accepted.

image.jpg

A typical Highlander camp on Hangover Mt.

image.jpg

Pirates of the Hell No!  The Southern Highlanders will not acquiesce to the Park Service and pay to camp when millions of cars enter the park for free.

image.jpg

A sunny day at 5,000 feet.

image.jpg

Slapnuts is gifted a pair of pink leotards, size x-small.

image.jpg

Ricky Bobby shows after doing a nighthike up the 2,000 foot South Lead trail from Big Fat Gap.

image.jpg

On Day 3 we all wake up to cold October winds and so I inspect Ricky Bobby's old Mt Hardwear PCT tent.

image.jpg

Trailspacer Gonzan showed up the day before and by morning he's using his alcohol stove to cook an intricate breakfast.

image.jpg

Gonzan cooks next to an old North Face tent.

image.jpg

The Ohio boys leave.

image.jpg

Gonzan's tent on the side of Hangover Mt and above the spring.

image.jpg

One of the Highlander boys brought out this old Jansport pack.

image.jpg

Slapnuts has been successfully inducted into the Highlanders and is apparently a full member.

image.jpg

The group poses one last time in the clearcut.

image.jpg

Gonzan is ready to hit the trail on a long hike back to Calderwood Lake.  Check out his Trailspace trip report.

image.jpg

Brian says goodbye.

image.jpg

While everyone is leaving, John finishes his morning coffee.  (John Quillen photo).

image.jpg

I leave the crew and Hangover Mt and return to Bob Bald for my last night.  A big thunder and lightning storm hits past midnight and scares the crap out of me.  A very nasty loud explosion started the festivities.

image.jpg

Before the big storm though, 2 backpackers from NC decided to fly a kite in the head winds.

image.jpg

The kite flyer(s) from NC on Bob Bald.

image.jpg

Into the Autumn sun and out of the woods.

image.jpg

And so ends another trip at Beech Gap.  God knows when I'll be out again.

2:48 p.m. on October 17, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Great photos of a foggy autumn trip, Tipi. 

I hope to get my photos up tomorrow, but I've got an overdue review at biting my tail as well, Ha! 

What these photos don't reveal is the hellbent wind rushing over the Hangover ridge all night morning! The driving couldmist was beautiful, and soaked everything that it couldn't chase off the mountain. Good times! 

1:05 p.m. on October 18, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,195 forum posts

Thanks for showing up.  It was windy but nothing like it could've been and was in 2009 when a nasty sleetstorm hit the ridge and got backpackers bailing off the mountain.  Look forward to seeing your photo journal of the trip, especially shots of the #42 Nutbuster Trail.

1:00 a.m. on October 19, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

gonzan said:

Great photos of a foggy autumn trip, Tipi. 

Are these the Foggy Trottin Boys?

4:15 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

As always, it's good to see you guys get out and meet up in such a beautiful place!

I miss the high elevation fog & wind of places like that.

Thanks for sharing your trip Tipi.

Mike G.

2:26 p.m. on October 31, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Well, I have yet to get my photos up, sorry 'bout that guys. I've been more than a tad busy the last few weeks. 

12:21 a.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

There is nothing like Hiking & camping out with friends. What  a great time you guys had in an awesome setting.

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply