Lincoln National Forest Overnighter

2:27 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
827 reviewer rep
586 forum posts

This area is located north of the village of Ruidoso in New Mexico.  The area the photos were taken were in the unburned area of the White Mountain Wilderness.  The burned area was named the Little Bear Fire.  The trip took place on Thurs, Oct 18th while I was vacationing there.

image.jpg

Big Bonito Trail

image.jpg

Approaching a saddle and a major trail junction

image.jpg

On the saddle looking to the west.  I'm at the junction of the Crest Trail.  Further west, the elevation drops 4000ft to the Valley of Fires.

image.jpg

I turned 180 deg and took this photo.

image.jpg

Continuing to a campsite I has scouted during past day hikes.

image.jpg

Pine needles make good tinder

image.jpg

The trail approaches this nice area to camp. I continued a little further.

image.jpg

This is the spot I picked.  The Hille is framed by two very large ponderosas.  Elevation here is 8900ft, temp in the 60's.

image.jpg

Forest Service Cabin was nearby.

image.jpg

This view of Spring Point was neaby the tent.

image.jpg

Small campfire was started, in an existing ring, by using pine needles and a homemade firestarter made of paraffin wax.  I only used some small sticks and twigs which I scavenged from around the area to keep it going for about an hour, then extinguished it.

image.jpg

In the Hille and this is the 900fp down quilt I bought from Pillowthread.  It worked great.

The next morning I broke camp about 10am and headed back to the trailhead.  It was a 7 mile roundtrip.  

7:22 p.m. on October 29, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Cool....nice photos of the landscape and yourself!

I'm glad you got to get out and spend a night in the wilderness.

That Hille tent sure is bright huh? (I'm diggin the quilt too)

Thanks,

Mike G.

2:29 p.m. on October 31, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

looks like a great overnighter, Rob! I love the bright clear light of the western air :) 

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply