Sudden Winter

4:23 p.m. on October 31, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

I like to call any backcountry skiing achieved before Halloween "beating the pumpkin". We got some good snow as early as October 10 in 2009, and the last two years were so desperate as not to really count, but this year...

We got about 30cm (1 foot) of snow in Trondheim before the weekend, and had already made plans to head for the hill before it came in. After considering various options we decided (once again) to go to a drive-up hut called Bårdsgarden in an area called Storlidalen, not far out of the ski town of Oppdal. This would put at us at over 600m/2000ft, in position for moisture to find its way in form the coast, but with some not-too-steep tour options for the early season. We (me, my wife, daughter, dog, and our new friend Liz) decided not to drive in the snow and dark on Friday night, and so arrived at the hut at about lunchtime on Saturday. After moving in and a quick lunch, we headed up a farm road behind the hut. There were still some heavy snow showers coming through, and we (especially Ralphie) were surprised at how deep the snow was.
image.jpg

A group had gone up before so we just followed their tracks up out of the trees and to the top of the ridge, where the wind had exposed a lot of rocks so there wasn't much point in going further.
image.jpg

We skied down a protected gully in fluffy snow that was waist deep in places.

image.jpg

A bit too deep for Ralph -- he and my daughter sat out the second run at the hut.

image.jpg

A herd of domestic reindeer awaited us at the top.
image.jpg
image.jpg
After a comfy night at the hut, Zoe, Liz, and I headed up a 1500m peak called Nonshø, while my wife and Ralph took a couple more powder runs behind the hut -- Ralph is getting a bit old to go all day in deep snow. We picked Nonshø because it is not too steep and the approach is on slopes that are at least partly protected from westerly winds, allowing snow to accumulate.
image.jpg

Even at noon in October the sun is low enough to cast some long shadows (a bit exaggerated by the slope). The days will be getting shorter and the shadows longer for another month and a half.
image.jpg

Breaking trail turned out to be not too bad. Her Liz moves up onto the drift/cornice that defines the final ridge to the top.

image.jpg

Zoe coming up behind.
image.jpg

The final approach is very aesthetic.
image.jpg

More shadow play.
image.jpg

Liz on the last stretch to the top.

image.jpg

Zoe nears the top.

image.jpg

Views from the top.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Towards the depths of Sundalen.
image.jpg

The whole crew.
image.jpg

We were expecting the upper part of the mountain to be pretty rocky, but the wind had wrapped around the summit and deposited a deep soft layer on the lee slope. Liz dives in.
image.jpg

Zoe's turn.
image.jpg

And looking back up at the summit. You can barley see our tracks on the slopes under the summit, far left.

image.jpg

From there it was a quick, pleasant run followed by a bit of slogging to get back to Storli. We got down at about 3:30, leaving plenty of time for the drive back to Trondheim.

That was easily the most/best snow I have ever skied in October. Now we're in for some warmer weather, but i think the snow in the mountains should settle in to a durable base for the rest of the winter. Long live winter!

10:47 p.m. on October 31, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
368 forum posts
Re: Sudden

Looks like a great trip!

5:01 a.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

The title was actually supposed to be "Sudden Winter" -- not sure how the last part got dropped.

6:57 a.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,258 forum posts

Good stuff Red! I really enjoyed the photos.

I hope to catch a little "hurricane Sandy" snow myself this upcoming weekend.

Are the deer free ranging? Does someone tend them?

9:29 a.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

Free ranging. I think they round them up and cull them once a year. Most Norwegian national parks are open to sheep and domestic reindeer grazing, one of many ways that they are quite different from American parks.

11:58 a.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Really wonderful, Red! 

I am heading to Charleston, SC on business this weekend, otherwise I would be in the early deep snow just northeast of here at higher els! 

12:11 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Would that be the Lapp herders who own the reindeer? I was under the impression they were in the north of the country. Or is that just in Finland and Sweden?

2:56 p.m. on November 1, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

Sami seems to be the preferred name these days. They are supposed tovhave exclusive rights forcreindeer husbandry in Norway, so I assume these reindeer in Trollheimen are theirs. We're just south of their traditional homeland but they have moved around quite a lot, with a lot of people now in Oslo. I see domestic reindeer now and then, but the only place I have seen herders was just over the border in Sweden, where they were zooming around on snowmobiles. There are also wild reindeer herds inHardangervidda, Rondane, and Dovrefjell.

1:41 p.m. on November 2, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,025 forum posts

That looks excellent, Big Red! Great pictures!

I am jealous of your snow.

3:18 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

Thanks for fixing the title. We've had our thaw weather and are going into a refreeze, so things are going to be pretty icy here in Trondheim until it snows again. But we're still off to a good start!

4:37 p.m. on November 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

great pics, looks like a great time out in the snow

9:22 a.m. on November 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

peter1955 said:

Would that be the Lapp herders who own the reindeer? I was under the impression they were in the north of the country. Or is that just in Finland and Sweden?

It is estimated to be around 80000 people of sami (lapp/finn) heritage in the world. Russia has 1700, Finland has 7000, Sweden has 17000 and the rest is in Norway. It is therefore more correct that the sami is mainly a Norwegian "thing".

Btw nice pictures BigRed. I had too much work to do so I missed the first chance of going skiing. But this winter looks promising, doesn't it?

9:32 p.m. on November 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Nice, I hope the snows continue for you. Gotta love skiing that deep of snow even if there isn't a base.

5:30 a.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
672 forum posts

We had a bit of a meltdown, but picked up another 10-15 cm of wet snow yesterday here in Trondheim. Last night my wife, a friend, and I went over to Bymarka, one of the city forest areas, for some xc skiing on groomed trails and were pleasantly surprised at how good it was -- the temperature had dropped just enough the snow out, and I was able to get a kick using purple extra wax, put in about 12 km. More warm on the way, but the overall trend so far is good!

10:13 p.m. on November 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Colorado has been getting small storms but the snow is melting between the storms in the sunny spots. The forecast is for 2 to 4 inches this coming weekend and possible snow next Thursday. I'm hoping for another foot by the 22nd (Our Thanksgiving Holiday) for my annual igloo trip.

3:27 p.m. on November 9, 2012 (EST)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

We've had non-stop snow here for the past few days. We're up to 28 cm so far. I just had to change a day hike to a snowshoe trip and even that may have to be changed because of road conditions.

image.jpg

September 1, 2014
Quick Reply