Bike tour from Slab City CA to north California

4:13 p.m. on November 14, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

I left Slab City after staying two weeks with my friend there. There was little to do but sit in the shade and swat flies. I left Saturday morning and rode north along the Salton Sea to Mecca CA, then turned NE to go thruan area called Box Canyon which lead me to I-10 and the southeast entrance to Joshua Tree NP. I spent three days riding and camping along the way thru the park. I left it this morning and am now in 29 Palms. Below I will post some pictures from Slab City to here.

image.jpg

Salvation Mountain near Slab City.

image.jpg

The Range, the outdoor music stage where various people preform on Saturday nights at Slab City.

image.jpg

Our camp at the Slab's. My tent is where the image ofthe Tasmania Devil is behind the fire. I am on a slab left over from the buildings when this was a military base.

image.jpg

A painting on the inside of the old base pool, now a skate board and bicycle park.

image.jpg

A cross on a hill between the Slabs and the Chocolate Mountains where the Navy has a bombing range. Daily one can hear the jets streaming by at low altitude and dropping bombs, shooting machine gun fire and just being LOUD.

image.jpg

After leaving Slab City and heading north to the north end of the Salton Sea the long road ahead of me...

image.jpg

30 miles north I finally come to the main Salton Sea Preserve.

image.jpg

Fisherfolk and the Santa Rosa mountains at the Salton Sea.

image.jpg

Pelicans on the Salton Sea near the northeastern end.

image.jpg

Entering Joshua Tree Nat Park.

image.jpg

The PC I am on won't allow me to rote pictures. This is Yoshi Tanahashi I met him near the entrance to the park. His is originally from Japan, moved to the USA 30 years ago he now lives in New jersy. He was playing the drum he is holding when I was coming up the road and heard it I stopped to talk to him. He was a 1/4 mile from the road on a nature trail loop.

image.jpg

A Jack Rabbit near my camp at Cottoncamp at the south entrance ranger area to Joshua Tree NP. It seemed social living around the campground.

image.jpg

Sunset on the peaks and rocks near camp. Yucca and Greasewood are in the foreground.

image.jpg

A Cholla Catus forest along the way yesterday riding 30 miles from Cottonwood camp to last nights camp. Look, but don't touch... OUCH!

image.jpg

Wow, what interesting granite boulder forms at White Tank campgrond!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Three views of Arch Rock near White Tank campground.

image.jpg

A giant Joshua Tree and the park road near the north entrance.

image.jpg

29 Palms Oasis near the town of 29 Palms.

Today is a rest day so I am not going far. After two days in the desert sun of the park I am not feeling well.  Need to get some batteries for my camera and a few other things before leaving town, maybe tomorrow heading west towards Yucca Valley where I will head NW towards highway 395.

2:54 p.m. on November 19, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

I am now in Twentynine Palms CA.

image.jpg

Welcome to 29 Palms California, the sign as I come down out of Joshua Tree N.Park.

image.jpg

29 Palms from the north end of town. The long slope coming down the hill on the far left horizon below the long lower blue ridge is where I left Joshua Tree NP. I took this yesterday while riding around the town.

image.jpg

An old church near the Joshua Tree Park visitor center.

image.jpg

The outside mural on the Chamber of Commerce downtown.

image.jpg

More of the mural. It depicts all the major wildlife and plants of the desert around the southern California Sonoran/Colorado Desert.

image.jpg

View from where I am camping on the east end of town. This is looking SW at Goose Ridge.

image.jpg

A closer view of Goose Ridge from the south edge of 29 Palms.

image.jpg

Sunset on the mountainous country northeast of town and my camp. This is the way I will be going when I leave to go towards the Mojave Desert Preserve.

image.jpg

Joey and Emmy, a couple I met from NY that have been on the road bicycling 9000 miles already and still along way to go. They are from the same area in NY I grew up in around Rochester on Lake Ontario.

12:47 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

Still at 29 Palms CA.

image.jpg

29 Palms from my new campsite near the base of Gueens Mountain SW of town.

image.jpg

A dry lake bed to the east of 29 Palms, Arizona is over there too.

image.jpg

29 Palms from the area I hiked to about 1500 feet above the valley floor, looking north. Adobe Road stretches out thru the center of town. A Marine/Naval base is in the distance at the other end.

image.jpg

Sunrise on 29 Palms from camp.

image.jpg

Got my picture in the Desert Tribune on Thanksgiving day. Taken in the Chamber of Commerce Tuesday at the PCs there with a young friend.

image.jpg

My current beard from a couple weeks ago in Joshua Tree NP. I had shaved it off last June to seek work in Wyoming.

4:51 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

This is an interview of me taken at the Salton Sea in southern California a few weeks ago. I was there and a young fellow with his Smartphone interviewed me at my self and life, etc.

If the video doesn't show here go to Off Topic to see the interview.

5:05 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

Remember this interview of myself at Hutches Pool near Tucson? I posted it a couple years ago here.

I was trying to be like Survivorman.

5:36 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,069 forum posts

I will be glad when I can get back on the road. I have been here almost two weeks. I am now waiting on a rear rim for my bike . Being sent from a cycling friend in Florida. Get it put on then I will be hopefully on my way. Heading east to the Colorado River and border of Arizona then south to Blythe and on east to Quartzsite AZ. May find some work there and then onto Flagstaff or the Gila Wilderness in west central New Mexico.

July 22, 2014
Quick Reply