29 Palms to Tucson, formerly Sedona

11:59 a.m. on December 27, 2012 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

I was going to Sedona but when winter finally hit me at Wickenburg I decided to come down to Tucson. Here are the last of my pictures from Wickenburg to Tucson of my Wyoming to Arizona trip this fall. I was on the road 3 1/2 months.

DSCF0818.jpg

Vulture Peak from the campground and Trailhead, with Cholla Cacti forest in the foreground.

DSCF0826.jpg

A wilted Saguaro Cacti, Choola and ocotillo Cacti while on hike to Quartz Peak in the Sierra Estrella Wilderness SW of Phoenix AZ.

DSCF0828.jpg

The sunrise on the desert.

DSCF0869.jpg

Trailhead to Quartz Peak

DSCF0839.jpg

Near the head of the trail looking back down into the desert

DSCF0843.jpg

Smoke,fog and smog separate the distant mountains.

DSCF0844.jpg

Long bony fingers of mountain ranges stretch out into the plains below.

DSCF0846.jpg

Looking north along the Sierra Estrella Range

DSCF0850.jpg

Looking SW from Quartz Peak. The main peak is made up of huge boulders of white Quartz, as seen in the foreground.

DSCF0852.jpg

Rood Anderson (R) and I on Quartz Peak. Rood was my www.warmshowers.com (a bicycling group) Host. I stayed at his place near Buckeye AZ on my way south to Tucson.

DSCF0856.jpg

That long finger of mountain below as we decend.

DSCF0863.jpg

Moonrise over a rock formation along the trail.

DSCF0868.jpg

Looking back towards Quartz Peak, its in the left hand side area along the ridge.

DSCF0870.jpg

After I left Rood's house I traveled south towards Casa Grande thru the desert and found this first streambed with water. I have been in the deserts since cycling in Utah this is the first I saw with water and not just another dry wash.

DSCF0874.jpg

Looking back at the Sierra Estrella Range. Quartz Peak is the third peak left of the telephone pole.

DSCF0875.jpg

The North maricopa Mountains along the dirt road I took south from Buckeye.

DSCF0878.jpg

The long stretch of sandy road before me going down towards Casa Grande

DSCF0880.jpg

My camp once back on the pavement behind a Salt Cedar tree.

DSCF0882.jpg

Welcome to Casa Grande AZ

DSCF0884.jpg

Another camp with sunset colors near La Palma AZ

DSCF0886.jpg

Picacho Peak from the southeast 30 miles NW of Tucson.

6:24 p.m. on December 29, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

You know it's dry when you see a wilted cactus!

1:54 p.m. on December 31, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
917 reviewer rep
1,326 forum posts

Great Pics Gary!

2:30 p.m. on December 31, 2012 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,607 reviewer rep
5,394 forum posts

Gary, you went through the area I grew up in. Mostly, we lived on the Gila River Reservation. The family owned property on the north side of Casa Grande (originally 120 acres that my father homesteaded), but had to sell it off piecemeal. There is a shopping center, trade school, and a residential area on it now. Picacho Peak was one of my early climbs. Near Picacho was the westernmost battle of the Civil War. Every year in March, there is a re-enactment of the Battle of Picacho Peak. The grave of the lieutenant who commanded the Union forces is near the mountain, close to the railroad tracks, but is unmarked (one of the few casualties in the battle).

12:16 p.m. on January 2, 2013 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,359 forum posts

There is also another western front at Bloody Basin along the Auga Fria up north near Sdona. A friend and I hiked the Agua Fria in the mid 90s from Bloddy basin to near Phoenix.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply