About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Some short trips

5:25 p.m. on March 2, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Haven't checked in for awile so thought I would stop in and say hello, hope all are well.

since I was here last I have taken my grandsons on several overnighters in the Natl forest where we live as well as a couple of 3 day scout trips with another coming up next week. one of my solo trips was along the headwaters of the sopchoppy river, also known as monkey creek, why I don't know. I left the trailhead with a to heavy pack at around 9am and had a pretty uneventful trip as far as wildlife goes, I did see some bear and deer sign but no critters or other people. I was on a well marked trail with some pretty steep climbs by florida standards and kept having to make myself slow down, for some reason I would catch myself walking like I was in a race. I spent the day mainly checking out the plants and trees, they grow in some knarly shapes when they have to fight for sunlight don't they??

I hit the next trail head about an hour and a half before dark and since the next leg started through a gum swamp and I had no idea how long it wouuld take to get to a dry hill I back tracked about an 8th mile to pitch camp. A little room temp tea and two cups of potato soup, jerky and crakers and it was time for bed because I didn't want to build a fire where it was visible from the trail head. pretty dull when compared to most reports but it was a pretty cool trip, not as cool as when with my grandsons but I cant carry gear for three.

earl.

6:02 p.m. on March 7, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

Good deal Earl, thanks for checking in!

What is a gum swamp?

9:18 a.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Patman, it is just low land along wetlands where the majority of the trees are gum trees.

Heading out for scout camp this afternoon so the boys will have another under their belts.

earl

April 16, 2014
Quick Reply