VIDEO Bruce Trail - Winter backpack

9:26 a.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Hi everyone.  As the nice weather approaches, no doubt we're all thinking about getting out and hitting the trails under blue, sun-filled skies.  I love the spring, and can't wait to get out and do some fine weather trekking.  However, we did manage a mid-winter trek in late February along a portion of Ontario's Bruce Trail.  This trail stretches a distance of about 900 km, but we managed a nice 25 km, 3-day hike on it.  Here's a short video of our winter adventure:

Enjoy      -Wayne-

11:46 p.m. on May 11, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Great video, very well done! Gives a good overview of the Bruce trail.

7:54 a.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Beautiful, indeed. Looks like it wasn't too cold, either. 

But without snowshoes, what would you have done if you'd gotten a heavy snowstorm?

10:47 a.m. on May 12, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Very nice video, and very well done.

May I ask what is the cam that Brad is setting up for the stream footage as well as what other cameras are you 2 utilizing for the video? 

Thanks

-Rick

4:10 p.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh asked: "May I ask what is the cam that Brad is setting up for the stream footage as well as what other cameras are you 2 utilizing for the video?"

The camera that Brad was using to shoot the stream was a Canon Vixia HF M500, a consumer grade hig-def camcorder that sells for around $400-$500. Nearly all the other shots in that video were made with a GoPro Hero HD camera. The GoPro is ideal for winter outings because it is waterproof.

-Wayne-

6:00 p.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated.

6:05 p.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
842 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Well done. Not to pry out all your secrets but what software did you edit with? This represents a lot of work at the PC (or would for me anyway)

10:51 p.m. on May 13, 2013 (EDT)
111 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Patman asked, "Well done. Not to pry out all your secrets but what software did you edit with? This represents a lot of work at the PC (or would for me anyway)"

Hey Patman, I use Sony Vegas Pro 10. It's a bit on the expensive side, but sony also makes a consumer level version called Sony Studio which would be more than adequate for most casual users. It's not as powerful as the Pro version, but is nevertheless a great piece of editing software in my opinion. I have used many brands of editing software over the years ( Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Studio, Avid, Sony etc.) and I think Sony makes a superior product.

-Wayne-

10:56 a.m. on May 17, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great vid, fabulous footage. Well done on the edit. Looked like a magnificent trip!

9:29 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
843 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

Enjoyed your video very much. 

10:48 p.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

It should be noted stashing the water bottles just below the surface of a snow bank to prevent freezing only works when daytime temps get above freezing; otherwise the ambient temp of the surface snow can fall below freezing.  When you find yourself in colder temps, burying the bottles deeper in the pack, closer to the ground will usually eliminate this problem.  Likewise if one is using a snow cave or igloo for a shelter, hanging bottles near the ceiling of such occupied shelters will provide an above freezing storage location.

Ed

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply