Shenandoah National Park

7:23 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

After having my first kiddo and entering into the grad school application rat race, my wife finally kicked me out of the house for a few days.  So I went for a hike.  I couldn't afford more than a few days out, but I got to see some cool stuff, get soaked to the onions, and spend some nights out under the stars.

First day was entirely devoted to travel.  It's 12 hours from Grand Rapids, MI to Harrisonburg, VA.  Cool little town, home of James Madison University.  It reminds me a lot of Ann Arbor with a more Colonial feel to it.

DSCN2682.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2689.jpg

Next AM I was up before the sun.  After a quick breakfast at the Waffle House, I headed down 33 West into the park via the Swift Run Gap entrance station.

DSCN2692.jpg

DSCN2693.jpg

DSCN2699.jpg

It became pretty obvious to me over the next few days that the park gave "preferential treatment" to Skyline Drive and sort of fit the trails in around that.  No matter, there was still plenty of beauty to behold.  Leaving my car at Blackrock Gap and heading south on the AT:

DSCN2703.jpg

Rhododendrons not quite ready yet:

DSCN2704.jpg

Fantastic afternoon for a walk:
DSCN2708.jpg

Pretty, whatever the heck they are:
DSCN2709.jpg

Ditto:
DSCN2716.jpg

DSCN2717.jpg

I reached the Riprap trail and headed south along the AT for another hour before retracing my steps and taking the Riprap trail.  Here is the overlook.  I think that is Grottoes, VA below but I am not sure:

DSCN2719.jpg

DSCN2721.jpg

DSCN2723.jpg

DSCN2728.jpg

DSCN2727.jpg

Cool burl:
DSCN2732.jpg

Further along the Riprap trail:
DSCN2735.jpg

7:36 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Lovely!

Flowers. Sigh. Looking forward to seeing them again. Are the pink ones azaleas? The purple ones are irises. (We're having a cold spring, won't see flowers for a couple of weeks at least, I bet.)

Congratulations on your sprog, and best wishes on the grad school applications!

7:45 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

More along Riprap:

DSCN2733.jpg

Shortly after this, I heard a thunderclap in the distance.  I took my pack off to put my pack cover on.  I figured I would wait to throw on my rain gear until I felt a few drops.  I didn't even have time to shoulder my pack again before I started getting some drops on me.  By the time I had my rain stuff on and hiked 50 yards, I was in a pretty serious rain.  Another 5 minutes after that, and I was in a downpour and getting peppered with small hail.  Obviously, the camera was tucked away for this portion of the hike.  Unfortunate, since the Riprap trail is a really nice stretch.  Drying out:

DSCN2736.jpg

The creek near my campsite:
DSCN2737.jpg

The next morning I put all my wet stuff back on and started hiking up the Wildcat Ridge trail back to the AT where I headed north:
DSCN2739.jpg

Another beautiful morning:
DSCN2740.jpg

Another cool plant that I am unfamiliar with.  My botany skills are sorely lacking:
DSCN2741.jpg

As above:
DSCN2742.jpg

Leaving the AT for a lunch break at the Blackrock Gap AT shelter:
DSCN2746.jpg

Back in the saddle, heading up to the Blackrock summit:
DSCN2750.jpg

Talus slope @ Blackrock summit:
DSCN2751.jpg

The views were fantastic:

DSCN2753.jpg

DSCN2754.jpg

DSCN2758.jpg

Obligatory pack shot, duh:
DSCN2763.jpg

I sat on this talus slope for about an hour:
DSCN2766.jpg

I hiked to Brown's Gap before turning around and setting up camp for night 2, not far from the Blackrock AT shelter:
DSCN2768.jpg

A fire and some wine.  That's how to close out a day of hiking:
DSCN2769.jpg

DSCN2770.jpg

Gotta do a self photo here.  I guess this is the hiker's equivalent of the frat bro's shirtless-guzzling-a-natty-ice-facebook shot:
DSCN2773.jpg

Crossing Skyline Drive again on the AT while heading back to the car:
DSCN2774.jpg

Short but sweet.  I will likely return again to the Central / Northern districts of the park as I hear they are even more scenic.  Thanks for looking!

9:04 p.m. on May 23, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Great trip  report..Also a great time to be in the park...

10:17 a.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
97 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great report and pics, thanks for sharing the trip.

11:57 a.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Lovely hike, Ghost! Spring in the Apps really is fantastic. The pink flowering shrubs in your photos are a native Azalea,  and the purple ones are Dwarf Bearded Iris. 

How do you like your little solo Eureka? 

3:28 p.m. on May 24, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,252 forum posts

Yes very cool trip!

Gonz,

That is interesting; I have never run into a pink azalea in the upper elevations around here. In Florida they were very common to see in a deep bright pink.  The orange flame azaleas seem much more common in TN.

7:43 a.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
137 forum posts

Hey, thanks for the info on the flowers guys!  Gonzan, I am a huge fan of my Eureka.  It's under 3 lbs.  It can be had for $110 brand new online.  I got mine secondhand for $60 from someone off whiteblaze.  I am 6'0" even, however, and the only limitation I see is with someone who is taller than me when it gets colder out.  If you sleep on an air mattress (elevated a little) your feet will run into the sloping roof of the tent and compress the toe box of your bag, which can lead to cooler feet at night.

10:12 a.m. on May 25, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,145 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

Awesome TR ghost. I love the selfie photo comment. Hahaha.

9:52 a.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Really nice photos.

3:05 p.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
580 reviewer rep
670 forum posts

Nice TR. I think the leaves-only shot is a type of wild yam (Dioscorea spp.). I really like those side-entry Eureka tents.

4:55 p.m. on May 30, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
843 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Enjoyed your trail report.  Ditto on what Patman said.  Usually see the flame azaleas.  I do not believe I have seen pink before. 

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply