American Alpine Club Climber Science Program -Andes

4:00 p.m. on June 20, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

We are continuing through into the third week of the AAC CSP environmental science study for 2013 (our third year). We gathered samples and gathered ground truth for matching to satellite photographs, including snow samples up to the summits of two 5000meter + peaks (Uros and Ishinca) . We are back in Huaraz for resupply, then in to another valley. I will return to the States early July. We have had showers, snow and rain, plus and a couple of huge lightning strokes. No way to post photos yet.

4:06 p.m. on June 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Awesome Bill. Be safe, and I look forward to your photos. 

8:44 a.m. on June 21, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
739 reviewer rep
677 forum posts

"Stroked by lightning"?

9:15 a.m. on June 21, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

BigRed said:

"Stroked by lightning"?

It is sort of light the act of petting a cat. 

...just a lil warmer and you are the cat. May also experience an uncontrollable twitch for a bit and a part in the ol' hair. ;)

3:06 p.m. on June 21, 2013 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

A "stroke of lightning" is defined as any one of a series. In the case in point there were two distinct strokes in the earth to ground series, each making a ground strike (actual ground contact) accompanied by a return stroke, and a very distinct rumbling thunder that echoed among the peaks. A lightning stroke does not always make a strike.

9:58 p.m. on July 1, 2013 (EDT)
2,329 reviewer rep
5,296 forum posts

I am at the end of my part of the 2013 Climber Science Program. This week is the Foro Internacional Glaciares, a conference on the changes we are seeing in the high mountains in the world. I will have some photos to post when I get back to the States.

Couple of interesting observations - a number of the main streams had measured pH in the 3.4 to 3.9 range, though the side streams were more like the normal (neutral) 7. There seems to be some leaching from the rock of various minerals. There are a few old mines as well. Lots of grazing cattle, burros, sheep, etc, within the Huascaran NP.

More later

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply