Sequoia National Park

1:17 p.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,570 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

Last month, Jay, Pack, and I took a trip to California and went to Yosemite NP, Mammoth Lakes, Sequoia NP, and Kings Canyon NP. We weren't able to get any quality backcountry time in SEKI, but we still saw enough to make a trip report.

599.jpg

A bear photobombed my picture!

607.jpg

This ranger was jealous of Jay's awesome hat that we picked up at the Stony Creek Campground store. We couldn't leave without it.

611.jpg

The largest tree on Earth, The General Sherman (275', 52000 cubic feet, 1,385 tons, 103' circumference, 2200 years old)

617.jpg

623.jpg

627.jpg

632.jpg

After the Sherman Tree, we walked the Congress Trail towards The President and The Senate Group.

640.jpg

644.jpg

A very large tree that did not have a name in front of it - still pictureworthy!

649.jpg

The President - The second largest tree on Earth

I can not begin to explain to you how large and impressive this tree is, so this video and these two links should help. I read the article in National Geographic Magazine several months ago and was really impressed, so I wanted to make sure that we saw this tree on our trip. I honestly was more impressed with The President than the General Sherman. It may be because The President was off by itself with no fence or other tourists around it.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/12/sequoias/quammen-text

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2012/12/13/167163801/one-photo-126-frames-2-billion-leaves-247-feet

657.jpg

665.jpg

659.jpg

After we left Giant Forest, we headed to Moro Rock.

669.jpg

670.jpg

Moro Rock Trail

672.jpg

The Great Western Divide (divides the Kaweah River and the Kern River)

675.jpg

677.jpg
 The Kaweahs - Mt. Kaweah is the highest at 13,802'

683.jpg

Summit of 6725' Moro Rock (one of many granite domes we hiked to the top of on the trip)

691.jpg

690.jpg

684.jpg

693.jpg

694.jpg

695.jpg

699.jpg

701.jpg

705.jpg

706.jpg

On our way out of the park from Moro Rock, we came across the The Parker Group.

713.jpg

We had to walk and drive through the Tunnel Log!

716.jpg

717.jpg

Our last stop in Sequoia NP was Crescent Meadow. It was a pretty typical meadow, so I didn't take a picture of it. The High Sierra Trailhead started in Crescent Meadow. We were going to try to hike up to Eagle View, but the trail was under construction, so we decided it would be best not to try it. Hopefully we will be able to next time!

1:34 p.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts
Re: Sequioa National Park

Welcome to the West.

5:58 p.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
188 forum posts

Nice pictures!  Last time I was there, they closed a small portion of the same Congress Trail due to a controlled burn.  Still was able to walk amongst those giant trees though.. Thans for sharing!

11:32 p.m. on July 25, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
364 forum posts

Glad you could see those parts of SEKI!  You'll have to join me on a backpacking trip some time to see the back country, it's better than Yosemite.

If you could ever plan the perfect trip to Giant Forest, it is right after a heavy snowstorm.   With the white snow, cinnamon trunks, dark green needles, and brilliant blue sky (much clearer air than in summer), it is a truly magical place.

If the air were clearer and you had a good telescope, you could have seen my house from Moro Rock.

9:37 a.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

@ppine,

Thank you :)

@macchiolives,

Thank you. Walking amongst those giant trees is definitely an amazing feeling! I wish I could go there more often.

@John,

I definitely want to see the SEKI backcountry.

I saw your TR from Giant Forest in the snow. It was so beautiful! I would love to see it in the snow!

You really are so blessed to live so close to these amazing places. I would go to Moro Rock and Giant Forest all the time if I lived close like you (obviously the backcountry as well). I really enjoyed them!

10:24 a.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
843 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Really enjoyed your trip report.  I would love to see all that some day. Those trees have always fascinated me. 

Thanks for sharing. 

1:19 p.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

Thank you, Soleful! I am glad you enjoyed it. You should certainly make a trip out there if you can. It is all amazing! I loved every bit of it.

1:27 p.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Very nice looking trip Ashleigh. ...I have to say I really want that bear hat in a bad way. ;)

11:20 a.m. on August 2, 2013 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

Thanks, Rick! I can't say I blame you. It is pretty awesome! We figured it would be perfect for Halloween, too (with black shirt and black pants).

8:54 a.m. on August 3, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
434 reviewer rep
668 forum posts

Nice! Love those trees. I first came into those groves via the High Sierra trail in 1984, then visited with family and friends in May and again in July 2013 during a sabbatical stay in CA. I have always found the House and Senate groups most impressive -- so many giant trees so close together. It helps to put a person in there for scale:
NRB-Senate.jpg

In July I was impressed at how fast the human population tapers off as you get away from the Sherman tree, Giant Forest and other hotspots -- even the House and Senate groups were pretty quiet on a beautiful July day. I know NPs tend to be over-visited on over-rregulated, but mostly for the right reasons and it's not too hard to escape the crowds.

We also had respectful bear encounters on both visits -- see the little guy?:

Little-bear.jpg

11:18 a.m. on August 5, 2013 (EDT)
2,570 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

Thank you, BigRed! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photo. I was so happy to see the population taper off away from the Sherman tree myself. I was kind of annoyed with all of the tourists at the Sherman tree. It was a hassle just to be able to take a picture at there because there were so many people.  I was shocked (yet ecstatic) to see that there was hardly anyone The President or the Senate group. 

Nice shot of the bear with the giant sequoias in the background!

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply