Rainy Day Uwharrie

9:59 a.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
853 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

Started out on a gray but pleasant morning, not expecting what would come later.  Then unexpectedly about half an hour before I planned to stop and set up camp, a huge down pour arrived quickly soaking everything but my spirit.  I turned my quick 11 mile over night into an 11 mile day hike.  No worries, I had a great time any way.  My goal was to test the new Big Agnes Fish Hook UL2, but I had no desire to set up in an inch of standing water (everywhere).  So, I enjoyed the rest of my hike out. The quality of the photos is barely acceptable, it was quite dark and I was using my GPS camera, because it is waterproof. 

rainy_day_uwharrie_6.jpg

This is the trail and you can see the water flowing down it. This was only about 15 minutes after the rain started. 

rainy_day_uwharrie_4.jpg

This is right next to the campsite on Dennis mountain.  I did not want to try pitching the tent in this. 

rainy_day_uwharrie_2.jpg
All in All a good day on the trail!

rainy_day_uwharrie_1.jpg
Wood Run camp had some people there, Scouts I think. I have never hiked out on this road in all the years I have spent in this area, so I thought this would be a good day to check it out.  The distance from the road is very close to the distance on the trail, but the road was a little easier to navigate in these conditions. 

Rarely do I get caught in rain like this, but I suppose this sums up the year we are all having here in the East, with the record rain fall.  I saw more amphibians than ever, though, a major moult of thousands of tiny frogs about 1/4 inch long, and salamanders everywhere too.  Also a great year for mosquitos!  Wish I had more to share on this, but I had a great hike anyway!

10:26 a.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Nice. I am actually putting together a tr from a recent trip where I experienced the rain here in SE Pa. as well. 

There were white caps on the trail from the water flowing down it. 

I felt like a duck. 

December 28, 2014
Quick Reply