Hiking Glacier Nat'l Park with my son

8:10 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

I let my 10 year old son pick 2 hikes in Glacier National Park this summer while we were there on vacation.  We did a hike that was 3 miles in and when we got to our destination he said "this is the coolest thing I have ever seen."  That is what exploring the outdoors is all about.  It was really rewarding to hear my son say that.  

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

10:20 p.m. on August 18, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

I always love it when the light bulb in their head goes on and they realize that the payoff at the end of the trail is well worth the effort.  Way to go!

6:18 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
457 forum posts

As a parent who loves to get out there I can't think of anything better than your child feeling the same way.  Those moments when they tell you in words or actions that they love being out there hint at all the future trips to be taken.

Thanks for sharing the pics Jason!

10:04 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Hopefully it's had enough impact that the feeling will stick with him for the rest of his life. And that makes it all worthwhile. 

11:02 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

His smile! Thank you Jason, that picture made my day!

I don't think he'll ever forget that. I bet many of us here remember first being exhilarated by wilderness, and count ourselves lucky if those are childhood memories.

11:47 a.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
782 reviewer rep
1,323 forum posts

Well done Jason.

12:24 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.  Much appreciated.

Next year Luke (my son) said he will be ready to do one of my favorite 11 mile hikes (in).  

We considered it on this last trip but I didn't want to overwhelm him and discourage him.  11 miles one-way can be a bit overwhelming for a 10 year old.  I couldn't be happier though.  We have done a few hikes together here in Nevada but the beautiful Glacier hikes really planted the seed and I think I made a lifetime explorer out of him.  

12:47 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Just curious, but which Glacier Park are you talking about? I know there's a US park by that name (Glacier National Park Conservancy) in Montana, and that there's another one in British Columbia. Makes me wonder if there aren't others out there!

1:02 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Peter1955-

Glacier National Park in Montana.  I grew up in Montana so I have spent a lot of time exploring the Park over the years.  I still go back every summer and spend a couple days there.  

1:16 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Small world, Jason. I'm headed to Waterton (just across the border) in a couple of weeks. Beautiful country!

1:30 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Nice!  You will love it.  For those that don't know what we are talking about, Waterton is the portion of Glacier National Park that is in Canada.  My parents took me there a couple times when I was a kid.  Very beautiful country!  

3:13 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Actually, Jason, Glacier National Park is the part of Waterton that's in the US. 

:-)

5:55 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Together they are called Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park. Waterton is the portion in Canada and Glacier is the portion in the US. :-)

Definately one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Enjoy your trip Peter!! Have you been there yet?

8:51 a.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Many times. I've done Crypt Lake, which is billed as the best hike on Canada, and Alderson-Carthew, which IMHO is better. I've also done a few of the others, but it's a 7-hour drive for me to get there, so I only get to Waterton perhaps once a year.

11:36 a.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Very nice Peter!  It is a 15 hr drive for me to get to Glacier and I still go every summer.  That's ironic about Crypt Lake being billed as best hike in Canada.  The latest backpacker mag billed Hidden Lake as arguably the best view/hike in Montana.  That is one of the hikes my son and I did.  He was pretty excited to see one of our destinations in Backpacker.  Enjoy you trip and share some photos when you get back.  

12:30 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,377 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I posted the ones from Alderson/Carthew and from Crypt Lake here on Trailspace, if you're interested. 

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/132629.html

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/123436.html

12:40 p.m. on August 20, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Wow!  You have a lot of really nice photos.  Thanks for sharing.  I see why you like to go back to Waterton.  Very beautiful.  I also checked out other photos in your profile.  You sure have a lot of them.  Nice work!  Outdoor Photography is a passion of mine too.

10:19 a.m. on August 22, 2013 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

Great way to introduce a child to the "backcountry".  It is not the mileage, but the destination that the kids will most remember.  Hopefully, you have begun a life-long passion for the outdoors and hiking for your family.

5:52 p.m. on September 12, 2013 (EDT)
351 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

You are right about it being the destination rambler.  

I go to Havasupai Falls every winter for a 4 night trip in the Grand Canyon.  I am going to take my son this year.  I am trying to talk my 14 year old daughter into it too but that is a challenge.  Teenagers.....  lol

12:19 a.m. on September 13, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

Jason,

You are a good father. Now maybe you can convince your son that the hike to get there was the best part. Then you will know that you have left a lasting impression that will change his life.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply