Joseph, Pillowthread, and HRH nearly killed me today.

9:22 p.m. on September 22, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,379 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

I'm going to let them write their own trip reports about our little weekend together. I'm just going to mention that by letting me lead on the trail this morning, they nearly caused my death.

I'm merrily hiking along...

Joseph: "Man you nearly stepped on those two snakes in the trail."

Pillowthread: "I'm not sure what kind of snakes those are. The colorings wrong, but see the arrow-shaped head."

I cautiously came back to see two copperheads mating in at the edge of the trail. I had missed stepping on them by mere inches.

Cooperhead-I-almost-stepped-on-1.jpg

Lower right corner, you can see their interconnected bodies. The bigger snake's head is towards the upper left corner.

Copperhead-I-almost-stepped-on-2.jpg

Closeup on the head. The picture doesn't show the slitted eyes.

Look, I'm not going to say any of those guys are actually responsible, but if Joseph Renow hadn't been spending all his time lollygagging in the back of the line worrying about the flavor packets for his filtered water, then maybe I wouldn't have been NEARLY KILLED by not one, but two deadly vipers. Just saying....

Aside from my near death experience, it was a good trip.

10:38 p.m. on September 22, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

To be fair, by time Joseph mentioned "snakes!" you'd already walked over/past them, while I found myself standing right next to them. 

Chalk up my "bomber hiking pace" this morning to that.

Nothing like a little venomous-snake-motivation. 

And Joseph, I really hope that was some delicious water!

Full report to come soon, y'all.

10:43 p.m. on September 22, 2013 (EDT)
5,379 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

That's my point. Had Joseph been in front, HE would have seen the snakes before I nearly stepped on them.

10:51 p.m. on September 22, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
468 forum posts

(looks like J just inadvertently volunteered himself to take lead next time all of us wind up in snake territory)

10:55 a.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,203 forum posts

Luckily the two snakes were too busy to notice almost getting stepped on!

12:00 p.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Haha! You guys are cracking me up :) 

It's a good thing you didn't step on them. Fortunately, most of the copperheads I've come across have been completely very chill if you're just walking by. Turn and mess with them and they tend to get a little testy, though.  The one time I've come across a timber rattler he was a bit more forward in his display of displeasure at our presence, and started rattling while I was yet 10 or 15 feet away. 

1:06 p.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,299 reviewer rep
357 forum posts

I agree Gonzan…I have seen countless copperheads while outdoors and have never had an issue with them…they appear to be a rather docile snake when not harassed.

For the record…I would not describe my breathlessly chasing of Goose and HRH for three days in the woods as lollygagging (lol). Goose and HRH were trail-running with backpacks and I was simply trying to keep-up. Next time I hike with them my gear list is going to be: 1) bivy 2) snickers 3) Aquamira and canteen 4) rain jacket 5) running shoes 6) lighter and small Victorinox pocket knife 7) clothing I am wearing 8) trekking poles. In all seriousness though…it was a great hike!

Here’s another picture of the snakes…it was the greyish color of the female and smaller size of the snakes generally that initially had me confused as to the species…but upon closer inspection the tails marked them as clearly copperhead.

River-to-River-Trail-9-20-13-36-.jpg

1:44 p.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

I've only had one incident with Rattlers..I almost jumped onto one roock hopping in Texas..Scared the bejesus out of me..I almost jumped right into one sucking up some sun.He was behind a bush and I was mid air when I heard the rattle..Hit the rock and jumped back.That was the end of bushwacking for the day..

3:07 p.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

Are you guys kidding....the chance to lash out at GOOSe, or get all jiggy with lady snake.....c'MON! IF this were girls talking, I would get it but you are all BOIIIIS! BOIIIIS know that there is nearly NOTHING that will stop the aforementioned act in progress! So, goose, pull up your big girl pantaloones and don't go all game show on this! ;)

5:04 p.m. on September 23, 2013 (EDT)
5,379 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

giftogab said:

Are you guys kidding....the chance to lash out at GOOSe, or get all jiggy with lady snake.....c'MON! IF this were girls talking, I would get it but you are all BOIIIIS! BOIIIIS know that there is nearly NOTHING that will stop the aforementioned act in progress! So, goose, pull up your big girl pantaloones and don't go all game show on this! ;)

I can't say I've ever worn pantaloones, but I'll pull them up! :P

10:22 a.m. on September 24, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,460 forum posts

HAHAHA! You guys must have had a great time!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply