Omine Pilgrimage Route, Japan

11:53 a.m. on October 29, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Here are pictures of a 5-day, 50 mile trek I did back in early August on a historic pilgrimage route in south-western Japan. Although the trail is mostly used by backpackers now, you can still see adherents to an ascetic Buddhist sect called Shugendo out walking the trail in white robes, with staffs and blowing conch-shell horns. I think the entire route (80+ miles?) can take up to 9 days, but I just did the scenic central part of the trail.

DSC_0372.jpg
Shot of some of the traditional clothing worn by the Buddhist pilgrims. I don't think they actually haul the big shell up the mountain.

DSC_0386.jpg

Trailhead sign showing the length of the route through the park.

DSC_0389.jpg

Interesting sign a little further up the trail. The first mountain the trail crosses is considered one of the main holy places of this religion, and there's a large temple complex near the summit. It's also one of the few places (anywhere?) that is off limits to female hikers. Antiquated, I know, but luckily there are other connector trails up to the trek route that avoid this particular mountain.
DSC_0393.jpg

Followed the stone steps as the route started to steepen.

DSC_0397.jpg

The trail actually passes right through a way-station--a shabby old hut, but a good place for a rest.

DSC_0401.jpg

Good views as the canopy opens up.

DSC_0411.jpg

Religious relics are ever-present along this part of the trail.

DSC_0415.jpg

Another covered part of the trail--vendors are set up here during the peak tourist weeks selling refreshments and religious trinkets.

DSC_0425.jpg

Nice view from an overlook at about 1600m.

DSC_0429.jpg

Not exactly sure who this is, but the lions suggest guardians. Some type of Buddhist mystic who trekked through hundreds of years ago I'm sure.

DSC_0432.jpg

Nice section of trail near the summit.

DSC_0438.jpg

Part of the temple complex off in the distance. These buildings actually serve as huts and hikers can stay for a fee.

DSC_0466.jpg

Another nice section of trail.

DSC_0479.jpg

My stop for the night, a tiny little hut just beyond the summit (sorry no pics from the top!). I was going to camp, but the hut was empty so I just crashed there. This is one of many stopover points for the pilgrims/hikers along the trail. Many of these are historic in that they've been used for many centuries.
DSC_0495.jpg

Sunset from near the hut. Great way to end the day.

DSC_0510.jpg

A look around the hut in the morning and it's time to head out.
DSC_0518.jpg

The trail passed through some old-growth forest here.

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0557.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg
The trail was up-and-down all afternoon, but the great weather was more than enough encouragement to keep moving.

DSC_0579.jpg

Looking back at the high point of the day, about 1720m.

DSC_0587.jpg

An amazingly green hollow near the end of the day.
DSC_0599.jpg

Home for the night. A nice, newly rebuilt hut--one of the best I've stayed in and I had it all to myself!
DSC_0650.jpg

Surrounding forest at sunset.
DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0697.jpg

On the trail for Day 3, great weather once again. 

DSC_0700.jpg

This hut has seen better days. That tree has been leaning on the roof since the first time I hiked through here back in 2005.

DSC_0708.jpg

Huge hut complex at the summit, my high point for the trip at 1895m. Looks like a decent place, but the generator is noisy an there's a better place to camp about a hour ahead. Thunder started to rumble in the distance, so I decided to high-tail it down to camp. Ended up getting caught in a downpour with some, well, interesting lightening despite my best efforts.
DSC_0716.jpg

Quick shot of the highest peak in the park (1915m) as I'm jogging down to lower ground.
DSC_0727.jpg

Bridge over the creek to my camp for the night. The hut was packed with people trying to escape the rain.

DSC_0730.jpg
Day 4 starts with clearing skies and lots of wet branches in the face...
DSC_0751.jpg

Nice spruce forest along the way.

DSC_0771.jpg

DSC_0779.jpg
Great ridgeline hiking in this part of the trail.
DSC_0795.jpg
Prayer plaques at the base of a tree. Nice spot for a quick rest.

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0805.jpg
Near camp for the evening, one more peak to climb in the distance.

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0833.jpg

A couple shots at dusk from near my campsite. Another solitary camp--three out of four nights alone is pretty good for August!

DSC_0873.jpg
Heading down on Day 5, about a 6-hour walk to the nearest bus stop. I paused a this rock outcropping for a photo.

DSC_0906.jpg
Huge waterfall on the way down. The river flows into a reservoir not too far below the falls. From here it was another couple of hours to the bus stop. There are two buses a day heading back to civilization, so timing is important! Once on the bus it's about a 2 hour ride to the nearest terminal, then a bus change there, and another hour's ride to the nearest train station. A highly recommended hike with a vibe like no other place I've been. The thousand year history of trekking in the region plus the scenery really make this a special place.

2:06 p.m. on October 29, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,275 forum posts

Awesome report bigup! Thanks much

3:02 p.m. on October 29, 2013 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,247 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

Yours are some of my favourite TR's on this site for the simple fact that they are so different. Thanks for sharing! Keep me coming...;)

2:17 p.m. on October 30, 2013 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,079 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this trip, Bigup. I would love to hike in Japan someday.

Back in the '90s, my brother spent a year as a Watson Fellow hiking/walking Japan's five Gokaido roads: http://www.colby.edu/colby.mag/issues/84n2/nemiccolo93.html

I sent him a link to your trip report.

I'm very intrigued by historic walking routes like the one you shared.

7:16 p.m. on October 30, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Woah!  Japan!  Amazing trip report!

8:56 p.m. on October 30, 2013 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
954 reviewer rep
149 forum posts

Thank you for sharing!

5:58 a.m. on November 1, 2013 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I'll keep posting hikes from Japan. 

If interested, CNN did a story on this area back in the summer (although not the hiking trail I was on):

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/06/travel/japan-kumano-kodo-hike/index.html

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply