Beautiful Mule Deer Buck I photographed recently.

7:48 a.m. on November 20, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,168 forum posts

Mule-deer-1.jpg

In the center of this picture is a Mule Deer I saw on a day hike recently, the high wall behind him is the White Cliffs, also called the Elkheart Cliffs locally. Here the cliff is about 1100 feet higher than the 4500 feet I am at near Mount Carmel Utah just 20 miles northeast of Zion Nat Park. This area is on the southwestern edge of the Grand Staircase Nat Monument. The top of the cliffs is a broad flat area called Glendale Bench where I day hiked last Friday in a previous trip report. The reddish area in the cliff above is caused by Iron Oxide leaching out of the sandstone above coating the stone area's red with rust...

Mule-deer-2.jpg

In this image I have cropped the Mule Deer to bring him a bit closer, he was in a small band of deer with him,another younger male and a Doe. He has 4 points, tho hard to see as he is looking straight at me...

Mule-Deer-3.jpg

Cropped one more time he appears like a painting. They are such magnificent animals. It is just past the deer hunting season here so they are safe for another while. At least from man, there are Mountain Lions in this area. The day I shot this picture I saw tracks of a Mountain Lion in the sand nearby.

6:51 p.m. on November 24, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Nice Gary!

Thanks for sharing.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply