Last three trips of 2013: Backpacking blog / Southern Apps

11:14 a.m. on December 29, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

This is a blog by a backpacker for backpackers. 

I looked up one day and realized I had hiked most of the trails in the Smokies so this winter has been dedicated to finishing up the list (not quite done yet but getting very close) These trips were planned to hit previously unseen trails.

First up was the first week of December where I still had some snow laying from the Thanksgiving storm...

DSCN2505.jpg

Here was a nice little waterfall near the Sugarland's visitor center and the start of Cove mountain.

DSCN2511.jpg

DSCN2512.jpg

I followed a flock of turkeys for a good little while.

DSCN2515.jpg

Cove mountain trail turned out to be probably the best constructed trail in the park; it would be the perfect running trail. It is a boundary trail however and skirts near visible vacation cabins.

DSCN2518.jpg

Cove Mountain trail ends near at what I thought was a fire tower but is actually a weather monitoring station locked to climbers. Bummer.

DSCN2521.jpg

Even sunny days can't overcome a cold shady north face.

Next up I moved to the west side of the park for a monster loop out of Cades Cove:

DSCN2533.jpg

I started from the loop road entrance on Crooked Arm ridge. Behind me in this picture is a cove field full of deer and turkeys.

DSCN2525.jpg

DSCN2531.jpg

I zoomed the camera for these shots.

DSCN2534.jpg

DSCN2538.jpg

It was unseasonably warm that evening at Scott Mountain camp. The evening brought incredible winds that woke me up numerous times.

After getting roused about 4:30 AM I went ahead and broke camp to enjoy the amazing warm winds. I started my 27 mile day by slowly hiking across the narrow boundary ridge trail toward Rich mountain. That morning was one of the best I've had in some time: the moon shone bright to my left, the lights of Townsend were beautiful in the distance to my right and the wind blew warm and strong on a mid December morning. I did not want the sun to come up that day.

DSCN2557.jpg

Here was the first wet crossing on Beard Cane. (two inches lower and I could have rock hopped).

DSCN2562.jpg

It had been more than three years since I was last in this valley: this was my first view of the tornado damage from almost three years ago. The trees were gone!

DSCN2563.jpg

This used to be campsite 11. Now it's a big pile of blowdowns.

DSCN2565.jpg

I don't remember any grass on this trail at all, interesting how quick it popped up.

DSCN2573.jpg

I eventually came back out to the open cove just in time to get rained on.

Next up was this last weekend where I started from Bryson City NC, and the Deep Creek area. 

DSCN2582.jpg

After leaving my car at the Thomas Divide trailhead and road walking over to the start of Noland Divide I paused for a photo a short way up Noland.

DSCN2590.jpg

DSCN2607.jpg

DSCN2609.jpg

There was a section of Noland with great views.

DSCN2611.jpg

DSCN2612.jpg

I stopped and soaked up the sun on the exposed ridge line.

DSCN2616.jpg

Mossy beauty.

DSCN2621.jpg

A wet crossing on Pole Creek.

DSCN2622.jpg

Glad I didn't have to cross the raging torrent of Deep Creek! Foot bridges make me happier and happier as I get older.

DSCN2627.jpg

DSCN2630.jpg

Here was the first nights camp on Deep Creek.

DSCN2637.jpg

This was Sunkota Ridge and typical of the narrow ridge trails in the area.

DSCN2641.jpg

This was a nice spot on the wooded peak near Newton Bald camp.

DSCN2645.jpg

This was my slanted camp on night 2 down in Deeplow Gap.

DSCN2647.jpg

A slanted camp calls for a slanted rock to cook on.

DSCN2651.jpg

DSCN2653.jpg

DSCN2654.jpg

Here is really cool water fall on the Cooper Creek side of Deeplow Gap. The trip went on for many more miles from there but this is the last picture worth posting.

Best wishes for the new year and my ongoing encouragement to put down the remote, step away from the keyboard, and get out there and enjoy the outdoors whenever you can!

Hope you enjoyed the reports....hike on my friends!

7:17 p.m. on December 29, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
371 forum posts

So how many miles of trails in the smokies have yet to see your boots?

Having fun walking on Anakeesta slate and Thunderhead sandstone?  They are a lot older than the Sierra granitic rocks.

11:07 p.m. on December 29, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

Patrick, that was a nice way to end the yr. I am sure you have trips planned for 2014 already

12:12 a.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Nice report Patman. Campsite 6 is a great place and not used very much. It's hard to figure out why they created that site along deeplow, I haven't found a level spot there yet.

8:46 a.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

John,

I have about 50 miles left (out of 900) but they are spread out and configured such that I’ll actually hike about 100 to catch them all. It’s funny that around here you can’t be called a “900 miler” until you hike them all even though I’ve hiked (conservatively) 5000 miles in the park over the years. It is fun but I’m certainly ready to pound some of that Sierra granite again!

Eddy,

You are correct….I’ve got several trips in mind and one in particular that I will use your gift for. (Ewker gifted me with a fabulous Sierra Club map of the park from the 70ies!)

Frank,

I agree…Scott Mountain is actually one of my favorite camps (stayed there three times so far). Yeah, that was the second time I’ve stayed at that Deeplow camp and you’re right there are no good spots. In fact I very nearly bailed and went back up to the junction of Deeplow and Thomas Divide to camp on the trail; there was an extra 35 minutes of sunlight available from up there and a nice big fallen poplar to recline on and enjoy it from.

11:14 a.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,596 reviewer rep
339 forum posts

That Copper Creek waterfall is really pretty!

4:46 p.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

(Ewker gifted me with a fabulous Sierra Club map of the park from the 70ies!)

That is an incredible gift! 

11:48 p.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

Patman said:

Eddy,

You are correct….I’ve got several trips in mind and one in particular that I will use your gift for. (Ewker gifted me with a fabulous Sierra Club map of the park from the 70ies!)

Patrick,

I am really glad that you will be putting it to use. If you find any interesting places let me know first :)

11:51 p.m. on December 30, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

gonzan said:

(Ewker gifted me with a fabulous Sierra Club map of the park from the 70ies!)

That is an incredible gift! 

gonzan,

I had rather give that map and book to someone who will use it than to have it sitting on my book shelf and never be used. I just don't get out as much as I use to so there was no need to see it go to waste.

11:20 p.m. on January 1, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

that map has peaked my interest......

what trails does it show that are now closed down?

1:00 a.m. on January 2, 2014 (EST)
229 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

You have to chase what seems impossible, over and over and over again. Because giving up is not an option. And when you feel like you have reached your peak, it’s just the beginning.

Hike on... & stay safe in the New Year!!!

3:51 p.m. on January 2, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
843 reviewer rep
120 forum posts

Beautiful photos and inspiring report Pat!  Cant believe I have only been to the Smokies once! 

10:53 a.m. on January 3, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

Hey thanks Belinda and soleful!

Kevin,

I still need to compare that map to another I have from 1971 but it appears to have all the manways I've ever heard of marked on it. Like trails leading out of Bone Valley, the full Hyatt Ridge trail, Greenbrier pinnacle, Mt Camererer manway, Porters creek manway, several trails that would overlap the Old Settlers Trail (which isn't shown-too new I guess) and more...

soleful2001,

Well if you ever decide you want to go of course give me a shout and I would be glad to make recomendations or perhaps join for a trip!

September 15, 2014
Quick Reply