Death Valley - Panamint City

4:57 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,159 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

I rarely post my trip reports here but I thought this one would be nice to share.

The past 2 months, I've been backpacking almost every weekend...some trips are worth reporting and others not so much.  Well, this one I think is worth reporting :)

I spend a couple days at Panamint City this past weekend with a few friends and I couldn't have asked for a more challenging, yet gratifying trip.

IMG_2174.jpg

More photos on my blog: http://bit.ly/1lxEcp8

Thanks for looking :)

5:25 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
331 reviewer rep
287 forum posts

Great pics and trip report.  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Thanks for sharing.  I am going to have to put that trip on my radar and maybe do it one of these days before the summer heat comes.  You said there was cold beer at the hilton, right?  lol.  

5:47 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
1,159 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Of course ;)  You might find a bottle of Brandy at the Hilton though :)

The hike is definitely better when done in cooler months...I would not want to be anywhere near here when the temps rise.

6:51 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
1,160 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

What an awesome TR. Although I love the photos I have to say the narrative was my favourite part, sometimes they can be tedious to type out and remember every little detail- how you were feeling, weather, etc but they add so much. I haven't been getting out as much as I would like recently and this provided a little escape. Thanks Angus!

7:01 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
1,159 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Thanks Jake! Much appreciated...oddly enough, I don't write on the trail.  The photographs are enough to remind me what the heck I was going through, how I felt at that moment, etc.

Now sitting in my office, I'm still at Death Valley time...can't focus on my work just yet...

9:42 p.m. on February 11, 2014 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Very cool trip Report Angus....Nice tribute to your friend Kevin...Very cool..

5:19 a.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
1,309 reviewer rep
363 forum posts

Nice trip Mangus...what was the temp ranges...in some pictures folks are wearing shorts...but it looks like things were below freezing at night?

Also...was only able to track down a single picture of your cook system...do you have any photos that show the actual stove?

9:34 a.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,257 forum posts

Nice...

10:35 a.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
1,159 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Thanks everyone!

Temps throughout the weekend were tolerable.  Night time temps were around 34 degrees and daytime temps in the upper 50's.  

My stove system is...

• Imusa 10cm pot w/ handles cut off
  • Dollar Store Plastic Container
  • DIY Reflectix Pot Cozy 
  • DIY Turkey Tin windscreen
  • DIY Titanium Esbit stove - designs for the round esbit tablet

I'll need to take a photo of the actual stove itself but in total with 3 days worth of fuel, my whole cook kit weighed in a little over 7 oz.

EDIT: I actually did take a close enough shot of the stove...

IMG_2291.jpg

2:49 p.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Nice write-up, Angus!

Been meaning to ask - what webpage/program/general wizardry are you using to make those photo montages? Very efficient way of getting multiple pictures across with a single upload.

2:54 p.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
1,159 reviewer rep
105 forum posts

Thanks Eric.  I use http://pixlr.com/

I also edit my photos through there.  I've been using this site for a while now and never had an issue with it.

5:17 p.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,988 reviewer rep
470 forum posts

Thanks, brother!

In the process of getting my own blog (http://hornrimmedhiker.blogspot.com/) up-and-running, and have always wanted to ask ya how ya did it.

Too many photos can make it tedious for the reader, too - like how it really streamlines the visual components. Again, much appreciated!

9:58 p.m. on February 12, 2014 (EST)
222 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

good blog. i never knew Panamint City existed. or i just never paid attention. Death Valley is hot!

2:42 p.m. on February 15, 2014 (EST)
708 reviewer rep
898 forum posts

Great trip report. I've been to the Death Valley area several times, including a hike into Titus Canyon. Rhyolite is also another interesting ghost town. Burro Schmidt's tunnel is also another interesting place.

11:37 a.m. on February 20, 2014 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,137 forum posts

After a long winter, Death Valley has an undeniable appeal. It is always at its best in the spring after a decent water year. After a really wet winter, decades ago I paddled an inflatable raft at Badwater when the playa magically turned into a huge lake.

I have never backpacked there, but have done lots of hiking. Some remote camping spots away from the uproar of the village have been very memorable.  I like Saline Valley, Ubehebe Crator, Rhyolite, the 20 mule team museum, Titus Canyon and many other places that shall remain nameless. I used to work for a guy that did his Master's thesis on the geology of the valley and he had the greatest knowledge of the place I have seen yet. He always had a suggestion for the next trip.

3:35 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
843 reviewer rep
120 forum posts

Really nice photos, and an interesting place.  Thanks for the report.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply