Scott's Gulf - White, Co.TN 2/15,16

5:38 p.m. on February 17, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've been reading everyone elses trips, so I though I would start to post mine.  This is my recent trip, a 15 mile overnight backpack exploring the upper section of the Caney Fork River gorge.  This is my second trip to this section, the first was in 2008.  Starting at Polly Branch parking area hiking the Yellow Bluff, Caney Fork River and the Chestnut Mt. Ranch trails.  
IMG_1092-1-.jpg
  The trails are poorly marked and you must be on the lookout for trail blazes.    
IMG_1098-1-.jpg
   Once inside the gorge the trail travers several boulder fields.   
IMG_1123-1-.jpg

IMG_1105-1-.jpg The are no exits once in.  You must complete the trail.

IMG_1122-1-.jpg The river responsible for carving this gorge.   
IMG_1115-1-.jpg Moonshine.
IMG_1118-1-.jpg
Copper Cascades  The trail crosses many streams, but this is a boot off.  And yes, it was cold. 
IMG_1120-1-.jpg
House size boulder.  This massive rock fell from bluffs above to rest here.   
IMG_1129-1-.jpg Climbing out of the gorge at the upper end looking back around the bend from where I started.    From this point the trail meanders through the forrest back to the parking area.     

11:06 p.m. on February 17, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

Nice report and pics. Glad you had a good time on it. I have hiked part of the Caney River Trail before from the Virgin Falls end. It is a nice hike but you like you said  can lose the trail easily. The ranger said the locals like to shoot the signs down esp at the river crossings.

11:12 a.m. on February 18, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

Hey Frogman,

Long time no see, hope all is well!

Thanks for the report, that area is new to me....

1:28 p.m. on February 18, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Thanks Ewker, lost the trail a couple of times but was able to find my way. I like it though it's part of a wilderness.

Hey Patman. All is well thanks for asking.

3:19 p.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
843 reviewer rep
116 forum posts

Thanks for sharing.  This looks like a great place to visit. 

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply