Colorado's Lost Creek Wilderness - Goose Creek Trail

9:12 p.m. on May 30, 2014 (EDT)
104 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

We took our yearly memorial day backpacking trip to the Lost Creek Wilderness and had a blast like we usually do.

We entered at the Goose Creek Trailhead, a very popular trail in the Wilderness.  We hiked in about 2 miles and then set up camp and bushwacked around for a couple of days.  This is a great early season backpacking location because it's a little lower in elevation, no snow this year.

It was typical Colorado weather; it rained, thundered, hailed.  It was sunny too, I think it's part of what makes the Colorado backcountry so fun.  You never know what your going to encounter.

Here's a video with some pictures of our adventure.

http://youtu.be/O2jH-3QFllc

I hope you all enjoy!

9:40 a.m. on June 1, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,162 forum posts

Ryan,

Thanks. I have fond memories of backpacking in CO. Lost Creek is a great early season choice. Lots of ponderosa pines (ppines). I like your dog, and it is great to see smiling kids in the outdoors. When I first moved to CO over 30 years ago, I planned a Memorial Day trip to Grand Lake, the largest natural lake in the state. I came around the corner to view it for the first time and it was frozen solid.

The weather in the Rocky Mtns is always an adventure in itself. I miss the blooming wild flowers even in August. In the Sierras it dries out by the end of July. Horses and mules sometimes got excited by the thunder and hail, but it was great to be able to haul canvas tents into the high mountains and wait out the storms next to the woodstove.

8:54 a.m. on June 5, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
843 reviewer rep
121 forum posts

Enjoyed your video.  I bet you will keep those memories for a long time.  I often get nostalgic when I pass by all the places I camped with my daughters.  Thanks for sharing. 

8:12 a.m. on June 6, 2014 (EDT)
104 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Backpacking and camping with my kids is great. I'm glad that they have the opportunity to experience the Colorado outdoors.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply