Pisgah National Forest / 4 days with Tipi Walter

7:01 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

My backpacking friend Tipi Walter had long talked about retuning to his old stomping grounds of Pisgah National Forest NC for a long trip and invited me to join for a few days.

He is pulling a 22 day trip and I was able to join him on day 8 of his outing for 4 of my own. He never knows exactly where he'll be but luckily he was able to get a call out and gave me great instructions to find him. He also used some flagging tape to help mark my entry which was needed as his day 8 camp was 100 yards off trail; no way I would have found it without marking.

I spent the evening of July 3rd through the morning of July 6th hiking through the hills and valleys of Pisgah and it was a great trip.

Despite being not that far from my usual areas, Pisgah was very different.

The area has a comfortableness about it that I found really enjoyable. In my normal haunts you can't often just start walking off trail without hitting impassable undergrowth but in the Pis that was a normal condition of many of the ridges I traversed.

The friendly swim holes abounded and the water wasn't bone chilling cold like it is at home.

Here is a short video that gives some impression of the outing:

7:36 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

That is such a pretty area!  I hope you guys got some of the relatively cooler weather that passed through the midwest over the 4th. 

8:49 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

We did indeed...it was glorious! The days never got above 75 F or so. The nights were perfect temps....my last camp was very close to the base of North Harpers falls and I could catch some of the breeze from the falls through my tent mesh. The weather could not have been better for a summer trip.

9:12 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

thanks for sharing part of Tipi's and your adventure over the weekend.

Did this video have sound? I was checking the volume on the computer and youtube but nothing 

11:03 a.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

Hey thanks Eddy, yes it has sound when I play it. I lowered a lot of the video sound to cut out camera mount handling noise and some of the water falls were so loud they were distorted and blasting. I addded some improvised guitar (recorded at my computer desk with a cheap mic very quickly) to help with the flow.

3:56 p.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

this past weekend was some of the best weather the southeast has had all year......

made for some great hiking and napping weather......

6:10 p.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

Sure did....Kevin did you do the Cohutta trip?

6:53 p.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
181 forum posts

Yeah...

Awesome sunset followed by watching fireworks from sunset point at panther falls....

I'm going paddling this weekend (and probably every free weekend til Labor Day) if yer interested.......in fall, I plan to knock out the rest of the cohutta/big frog areas...

11:04 p.m. on July 10, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
171 forum posts

Patrick,  I just now watched the video again and it had sound this time. Who knows what happened this morning. The guitar playing added a nice touch to it 

3:09 p.m. on July 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

Kevin, very cool.....thanks for the invite; I'll let you know. My work projects have just exploded with infrastructure changes which kill my weekends. The the next two I'll be working for sure and no trips.

Eddy,

Yeah, there is no telling with internet video....thanks for the comments! 

1:19 p.m. on July 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Great video Patman!  Great guitar riffs too!

4:18 p.m. on July 12, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Very cool Pat, I hope both you guys had a great time in Pisgah.

That's one of the areas I would love to backpack more of!

9:13 p.m. on July 13, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,746 reviewer rep
345 forum posts

Thanks for sharing, Patman! I enjoyed it! Beautiful section! 

12:29 a.m. on July 14, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
371 forum posts

Looks like a very nice area to spend some time.  I love all the creeks.  I wish I had the time and means to get out that way for some backpacking.

11:24 a.m. on July 19, 2014 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Thanks Patman for posting this.  I just got back yesterday July 18 and got to enjoy your video.  I discovered even more creek waterfalls and canyons as the place never ends.  The Steels Creek side (southeast of Hiway 181) is full of more creeks as the Mountains to Sea trail climbs all the way to the east rim of Linville Gorge.  Trip report forthcoming.

8:25 a.m. on July 20, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

Hey welcome back ! Can't wait to see "the rest of the story"

3:34 p.m. on July 21, 2014 (EDT)
2,746 reviewer rep
345 forum posts

Hey! Where in Pisgah were y'all?

3:54 p.m. on July 21, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,264 forum posts

Ash, 

I don't know a great deal about the area but we were doing loops with the Mountains to Sea Trail as the "backbone" in the area east of Linville Gorge and south of Grandfather.

I drove to an entry spot suggested by Tipi that I had never been to before. Google Directions didn't even really come close to getting me there and I had to stop and ask directions at a gas station in Linville near Grandfather Mountain. I took a paved road out of Linville and it went up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, crossed over and eventually became rutted out gravel, went by Grandmother Gap and dropped way down to an area on the map called Roseborough.

Yes, finding that trailhead was a bit of an adventure also. The Timber Ridge trail that I started on is signed near a confusing car-camping place that looks like a trail head but isn’t; the actual trail head is back in the corner of that car camping area on the opposite side of a small creek. Luckily Tipi marked it for me with flagging tape; I would have found it eventually but that saved me maybe 45 minutes of aggravation. I made a big loop and came back to Roseborough on the MST.

12:25 p.m. on July 23, 2014 (EDT)
2,746 reviewer rep
345 forum posts

Thanks! I will have to try and get over there. It is a really beautiful section!!

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply