Baxter State Park - Annual 4 Night Loop

8:02 a.m. on July 31, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
405 forum posts

This trip is one I do every year and I posted a full report on it here previously.  It is just so dang pretty in spots that I'd feel bad if I didn't at least offer to share it again anyway so the long version with 50+ pics and a few movies can be found here http://lesstraveledby.net/adventures/baxter-state-park-chimdavrusswass/

baxterloopmap.jpg

baxterloop1elevationa.png

Planned Itinerary

Day 1: Enter via Togue Pond Gatehouse (South entry)  Park at Roaring Brook camp and climb Chimney Pond Trail 3.8 miles to Chimney Pond.

Day 2: Saddle Trail up to tablelands 1.4 miles NW Basin Trail to Davis Pond 3.2 miles

Bonus Option 1: Baxter Peak 2 miles rt

Bonus Option 2: Hamlin Peak .7 miles rt

Day 3: NW Basin Trail from Davis Pond to Russell Pond est 5.3 miles

Day 4: Russell Pond Trail to Wassataquoick Stream Trail to Wass Stream LTs est 1.8 miles

Bonus Option: Ledge Falls 1 mile rt / Grand Falls 4 miles rt

Day 5: Wassataquoick Stream LTs to Roaring Brook camp est 5.8 miles.

IMG_3344a.jpg

IMG_3366a.jpg

After it came up in an on trail discussion with a ranger I'm now referring to this loop as my "annual trip of a lifetime".  It was just too impressive the first time not to return again and again.  It never disappoints and I intend to keep going back until I run out of people to drag along with me.  This is one route I won't do alone as there is one section where they wouldn't even start looking for the body for 2 or 3 days so it only seems fair to have a partner to tell them where to look :p

On a sad note the knee remains an issue.  It was feeling better after a week off but I brought a knee brace along just in case.  Good thing because again the descents were an issue.  It is looking like the LT will be a no go this year but I have a few weeks of rest ahead and will hopefully find some smaller targets for September.  Maybe the Presidents or the 100 Mile...

Again, lots more pics at the link above as well as a couple videos.  I may need a new partner for next year so keep a week in July open on next years calendar if you want to see these spots in person :)

9:01 a.m. on July 31, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,055 forum posts

The Wassataquoick Stream LeanTo is the first shelter on the IAT. You should try hiking north on the IAT next time, and head up to the fire cab on Deasey Mtn. Glad you had a good trip!

10:23 a.m. on July 31, 2014 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
405 forum posts

Pretty sure those are two different spots Seth.  The one I use is close to Russell Pond and is inside the BSP boundaries.  The one on the IAT is pretty much due east of Roaring Brook camp and Katahdin Lake.

That leg along the Penobscot from there up to Matagamon Gate would make for an interesting section I have to admit. Lots of tent sites along the river between the lean tos.  Might be nice in September if the bears aren't too hungry :)

7:46 p.m. on July 31, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Great photos from your link LoneStranger.  Never have been backpacking out there so thanks for sharing!  Good stuff!

11:03 p.m. on July 31, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
147 forum posts

Thank you for sharing LS, I'm heading up that way in October!

5:33 a.m. on August 1, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
156 forum posts

Awesome pics, looks like a great trip!

8:19 a.m. on August 1, 2014 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
405 forum posts

Glad you folks enjoyed the pics.

@Seth I've explained to Mrs Stranger that it is your fault I am now mapping out a loop route that includes that section of the IAT :)

Sean Van Cleve said:

Thank you for sharing LS, I'm heading up that way in October!

I'd be interested to hear your plan if you are willing to share and will definitely expect a trip report.  There is so much park up there to explore yet, even for me and I go up there several times a year.

10:56 a.m. on August 1, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER REVIEW CORPS
944 reviewer rep
147 forum posts

LS, This will be my first visit to Baxter, a good friend has been going there every Columbus weekend for about a decade. The plan is to be a very relaxing trip, Roaring Brook->Wassataquoik Island. Thanks again for your TR, I will be sure to have one this fall!

11:30 a.m. on August 1, 2014 (EDT)
1,366 reviewer rep
405 forum posts

Oh Wass Island is a well sought after reservation.  They only reserve the second half of the season with the first half blocked for loon nesting.  I haven't had the chance to go that way because everyone always wants to hit the peaks, but I'd love to do a two night visit and try fishing that lake a bit from the canoe.  Have fun out there!!

1:21 p.m. on August 1, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,731 reviewer rep
345 forum posts

Katahdin has always been on my hiking bucket list. It was nice to see pictures from the top. Thanks for sharing! Your photos are awesome!

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply