3 Days near Ebbet's Pass, CA

11:19 a.m. on August 4, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

The July rains really freshened up the country around 8,000 feet. The mixed conifer forest included western white pine, Shasta red fir, white fir, lodgepole pine and some Utah junipers. There were mountain hemlocks near the upper treeline. Many of the trees were 300 years or more in age judging by tree ring counts. The white pines and red firs in particular were large stately trees with diameters in the 3-4 foot range. There height growth was somewhat compromised by the lack of precip during the growing season.

The understory was composed primarily of mat growing junipers, low growing manzanita, currants, gooseberry and snowberry. Wild flowers were still in bloom especially pink and orange Indian paintbrush, 3 spps of lupines, yarrow, mountain mint, mallows, tiny sunflowers, and some small unidentified alpine flowers well above treeline.

I am showing no photos because of the crummy quality of my small camera. The views available in this area only a few miles from the trailhead were very impressive, with sightlines of 50 miles or more above the recent forest fire smoke so common in the valleys. The landscape was combination of Sierran granite boulders with large igneous intrusions of dark colored igneous rocks like those that comprise Ebbett's Peak. The area is readily accessible and the day hikers thinned out fast. I will be going back there soon.

11:22 a.m. on August 4, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

The quality of what you are pointing it at matters a lot more than the quality of the camera in my opinion. If the pics are too good we'll feel like we don't have to go there to really see it so don't be shy about posting what you've got :)

1:48 p.m. on August 4, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,086 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

Your writing evokes an incredible picture, thank you for this!

2:40 p.m. on August 4, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
183 forum posts

So where did you hike?  P CT North or South?  Or off on another trail?

2:49 p.m. on August 4, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Balzaccom,

We went north to a group of lakes and day hiked north up to Eagle Creek and Silver King Creek.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply