Rainier Aug 2014

4:54 p.m. on August 8, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,627 reviewer rep
1,272 forum posts

My friend from Mt Hood, two new friends and I cut a piece of Rainier this week. 

The route up the DC was in fantastic shape and the weather was unbelievable. 

We camped out the night before the climb and got to know each other since JB and I were the only ones to have climbed together before.  After some debauchery, shamelessly hitting on a cute park ranger and an aborted attempt to climb a tree with crampons and ice axe we settled in for the night.

IMG_20140804_110133095.jpg

JB taking a break on the hike to Camp Muir.  The only weather issue on this trip was sunburn. 

IMG_20140804_124444904_HDR.jpg

Still hiking up to Muir. My good old zinc/titanium sunscreen served me well.

IMG_20140804_163833338.jpg

My little slice of Camp Muir.  JB and I shared my MH Direkt and RA and Germ shared their MSR Dragontail.  The Goal Zero solar charger worked fantastically in the snow and direct sun.  We made water, gorged on MH dinners and pepperoni (too much pepperoni) and turned in at 6pm to enjoy some restless alpine "sleep." 

11:30 we woke and at 12:00am we were roping up for the summit.

IMG_20140805_054926813_HDR.jpg

Sunrise found us about 800 feet, elevation wise, from the summit.  Unfortunately, that was the vertical limit of RA, the elevation had done its nastywork on his metabolism so we set him up with puffys, a sleeping pad and a picket and continued to the top. 

crack2.jpg

Straddling a nice little crack

crevasses-and-little-tahoma.jpg

More spicy ice

jeremy.jpg

There was one ladder we crossed but I chose to keep the camera stashed during the crossing.

IMG_20140805_095250311_HDR.jpg

The rest of the team

IMG_20140805_073024560.jpg

Rainier on Rainier.  I gave the mtn a sip, saluted my rope team and enjoyed the rest. 10 mph winds made the summit seem like paradise. 

IMG_20140805_072653418_HDR.jpg

Adams and St Helens over my shoulders at the summit.  We hung out up there for a half hour or so.  A 16 yr old girl summited as well while we were up there.

IMG_20140805_164534803_HDR.jpg

We retreived RA who was confused that so many passing climbers thought he was dead when he was simply napping.  Might have been funny to mess with them a bit. 

Hiking back down was a lot more fun because we could see all of the cool ice features and exposure we had missed in the dark that morning. 

Hiking down to uber-touristy Paradise parking lot we had to stop for several foreign tourists who wanted to take their picture with us.  It was kind of funny.  We milked it all we could to try to get JB a shameless hook up but to no avail. 

I can't wait till the next trip.

5:16 p.m. on August 8, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
460 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Great photos! Rainier the beer from here! Was always more of an oly man myself when I lived in Washington but I'm just nitpicking

5:23 p.m. on August 8, 2014 (EDT)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,272 forum posts

If it had been Guinness mtn I'd have drank that but, you know...

5:39 p.m. on August 8, 2014 (EDT)
2,024 reviewer rep
448 forum posts

You really did get perfect weather up there.  The iceholes are pretty from where I'm sitting but I have a feeling they are a bit more exciting up close.  Glad it all went so well for you!!

1:14 a.m. on August 9, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
723 reviewer rep
932 forum posts

Glad the weather held. It has been an unusually hot and settled summer. You'll have to watch some Rainier Beer commercials when you get home.

Erich

5:12 p.m. on August 10, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

Looks like a great trip! Glad the weather held for you.

9:26 a.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
2,761 reviewer rep
371 forum posts

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. I've always wanted to see the summit of Rainier. What an awesome trip!

10:34 a.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
88 forum posts

Really cool trip report!  Reading these gives me a tremendous appreciation for the work it takes to summit. 

2:27 p.m. on August 11, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

Yes very very cool Jeff! Thanks for sharing this....I agree with MPaint, I also apprecaite this kind of effort and I'm sure you appreciate the serendipity of the weather!

5:05 a.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
703 reviewer rep
184 forum posts

Amazing trip! Thank you for sharing!

9:25 a.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

My wasband was a Rainier drinker. I loved the old brewery on the side of the freeway. They had a banquet room hooked up to a perpetual keg! Jeff those pix were mighty fine and you look great on your mountain! I bet on the way home you were sayin; RAIIIIIIIII-NEEEEEEEEEEEER-BEEEEEEEEEER!

10:40 a.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
3,627 reviewer rep
1,272 forum posts

Karen, we were talking about all those old commercials the whole way home!  Then I got home and watched them on YouTube.  When I drove to Seattle to pick up the team I went right past the old brewery.  They put the old R back up.  Of course, I don't usually drink Rainier, (I like the basement brews I've made lately) but I had to honor the Mtn. 

I expected the climb to be a lot like climbing two Mount Hoods or Adams' but it was so much more draining, probably the altitude.  I have been taking Gingko and Ibuprofen for the altitude and I think it helped and maybe the daily stairs and runs were a factor too.  I only really got winded once and was able to catch my breath pretty easily. 

Last year, 55 pounds ago, the hike to Muir kicked my ass; I had to stop a lot just to stop gasping around 9,000 feet.  Now I can carry that 55 pounds in gear.  I can't wait to do it again next year.  I can see the Mtn from the office so why not?

11:15 a.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

My bro is slated to climb it next year too. Sadly, his trip up to climb Baker did not result in a summit due to weather. Disappointing to spend all that money and travel and not get there, but he had a great time and will be doing Rainier next summer. Has Shasta under his belt and will go back and grab Baker.

8:38 a.m. on August 13, 2014 (EDT)
6,513 reviewer rep
867 forum posts

giftogab said:

My bro is slated to climb it next year too. Sadly, his trip up to climb Baker did not result in a summit due to weather. Disappointing to spend all that money and travel and not get there, but he had a great time and will be doing Rainier next summer. Has Shasta under his belt and will go back and grab Baker.

When is he doing Rainier? If all goes according to plan, I will be there in exactly 53 weeks! (In addition to money, if I find out I've been doing all these cardio workouts for nothing.... :P  )

1:23 p.m. on August 13, 2014 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

Vitamin R on the top of "The Mountain." Good job. The weather decides a lot of things for you. I am writing this from a motel in Bothell. Today we are celebrating my folks 70th wedding anniversary.

11:10 a.m. on August 15, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Just fantastic.  Thanks for sharing the trip report!

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply