Peggy's Pond

4:24 p.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,612 reviewer rep
1,248 forum posts

I unpacked my pack from Rainier Wednesday and repacked it Friday for one last trip with the clones before school starts. 

The clones are carrying 90% of their own stuff now plus a few hidden rocks to keep the older ones slow enough for the little ones to keep up. 

P8090471.jpg

Looking across to Granite Mtn. one of two mountains so named within 100 miles.  All the good names were used up I guess. 

P8090212.jpg

Squaw Lake, a few miles from the TH. 

P8090528.jpg

Lady the dog was happy that I finally remembered to bring my own sleeping bag instead of stealing hers like last time.  The camp robber birds stole almost all of her food while she slept after the hike.  We all shared our food with her.  Lady and I slept outside under a bug net to let the kids have the tent.  Wait a minute, I carried that tent...

P8090348.jpg

We left our packs at camp and day hiked to the pond to play.  The big rock is Cathedral Rock. The trail traverses the rock and gets sort of exposed for the little ones at times.  They're climbers though and do okay. 

P8090254.jpg

When the trail to the pond gets a little spicy for a #5, big sister gives a belay. 

P8090256.jpg

Deep lake, a mosquito infested swamp that teems with trout; not worth the hike though, I already donated blood this month thanks. 

P8090310.jpg

Fun on the flanks of Mount Daniel above Peggy's Pond.

P8090306.jpg

One of the summits of Daniel. 7,900-ish feet at the summit.  Its on the list.

P8090276.jpg

Everyone loves an August snowball fight.  A month without seeing snow is like a month without sunshine. 

P8090340.jpg

Water filter?  Are you kidding? 

I think the hardest part is putting the gear back in the man cave knowing that its going to be a while before we use it again.  Hopefully the memories will last till then. 

4:29 p.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
450 reviewer rep
189 forum posts

Great trip report!  Always good to spend some quality time with the fam outdoors!

4:29 p.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Jealous of all your awesome adventures, Jeff!  Next trip will be here before you know it, I'm sure!

Cheers!

4:49 p.m. on August 12, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,994 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Good stuff indeed! Mrs Stranger is traveling most of this month but we hope to still get one or two family trips in yet this year. Easier to go alone, but much more fun to bring everyone along.  Thanks for sharing the fun pics!

9:32 a.m. on August 13, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,761 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Great pictures, Jeff. This looks like so much fun! That area is gorgeous!!

11:22 p.m. on August 16, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Gorgeous area, and so much better when you can share it with family!

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply