Fredricksburg Cave

10:56 a.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
11,422 reviewer rep
1,393 forum posts

After running my first 5K race on Saturday, my family headed over to Louisville, KY to meet cavers from my "Grotto" (caving club). On Sunday we headed to Fredricksburg Cave in Washington County, Indiana. Here is our six-hour trip condensed into a >4 minute video.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to realize nothing hurts my arthritic knees more than caving.

I know why. My therapist always wants my feet, shin, and knees aligned perfectly on each step. With the right foot gear, I can do that while hiking, running, & cycling.

But in caves, walking on a flat surface is a luxury. You're always turning your foot to find the spot where you can put it down. You're side stepping pot holes, stepping over rocks, and sucking your boots out of mud with a twisting motion.

Within 2 hours of caving, my left knee was hurting and is still achy 2 days later. Last trip, my right knee hurt for nearly a week afterwards. I fear my days of caving may be winding down. I'm not waiving the white flag yet, but...

2:11 p.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
110 forum posts

Interesting Goose!  Thanks for sharing.  Hope your knee is feeling better.

8:34 p.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,155 reviewer rep
2,130 forum posts

Haha super cool! Well Done G

8:57 p.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
625 reviewer rep
1,178 forum posts

Very cool. I'm mildly claustrophobic just watching!

10:56 p.m. on September 2, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
780 forum posts

Wasn't there a horror movie about some cavers running into mutant cave creatures!?

7:09 a.m. on September 3, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,899 forum posts

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share it, especially for those of us who are likely to be vicarious cavers.

Your kids are lucky to get to have adventures like this with you.

I hope you're able to continue caving for a long, long while.

Good job on the 5K too!

7:22 a.m. on September 3, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
265 forum posts

Fantastic views in that cave, nice film. When I was young we lived close to a mountain with a lot of caves under the big boulders. Always playing hide and seek there. But my wife hates this environment, so we have not gone on this kind of tour.

Sad, because we live in the area that has the densest concentration of caves in Scandinavia. Otto

May 27, 2018
Quick Reply