Uwharrie Trail 2017 40 Mile Event

9:23 p.m. on October 16, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,261 reviewer rep
154 forum posts

2017 marks another great year of the Uwharrie Trail celebration.  What are we celebrating?  We are celebrating the restoration of the original trail that spans from Troy, NC  North all the way to Birkhead Wilderness in Asheboro, NC.  

In the late 1960's to early 1970's A local scout leader name Joe Moffitt and his scout troop built a 40 mile trail with not much more than hand tools, and hand shake agreements with land owners. Over the years the portions on private land disappeared as the status of ownership changed.  What remained was 20 miles of trail in the Uhwarrie National Forest and it became known as the Uwharrie National Recreation Trail.  

For some time, volunteers, Land Trusts, Benefactors, and other interest groups have worked hard to re-establish the original trail.  We have reached a point where we only have about 3 miles left to complete the link between Birkhead in the North and Uwharrie National Forest in the South.  

October 12th through October 15th was a time for us to celebrate another year's accomplishments and promote awareness in a special way.  

This year we had the most participants since its beginning in 2013.

An old frame.  Truck or tractor?
PA120002.jpgAn old burl tree.  The tree has long since died, but I have been observing it for years.  Photographing it every time I walk by expecting it to have fallen by now.
PA120014.jpg

Home for the night at our first camp at Yates Place. 
PA120028.jpg

Our destination for Camp 2.  The Jumping Off Rock trail head.
PA130032.jpgBear Activity?
PA130036.jpgBalanced limb that has fallen on a tree.  go figure.
PA130039.jpgI have walked by this many times without noticing it.  I have not figured that one out yet.  This is really interesting how the tree has grown around the dead fall.  It is right next to the trail.
PA130042.jpgCamp 2 at Jumping Off Rock trail head.  This camp site is a little tight for the 50 plus hikers, but we managed quite nicely.
PA140045.jpgNot far from Poison Fork on the third day of hiking this lone grave can be found on a hill.  The girl who died in 1911 was only 10 years old. This was to be the site of a church.  It never materialized and this girl's grave is the only one in the would be church cemetery. 
PA140048.jpg
PA140046.jpgResting after the climb up Little Long Mountain and preparing for the next climb up King Mountain.  This shelter was built as an Eagle Scout project.  There are some really nice views from here. Thanks Hampton Ruth!
PA140067.jpgThe summit of King Mountain the highest point on the Uwharrie Trail.  This is recently restored trail that is now official.  

PA140069.jpg

PA140069.jpg
PA140071.jpgParty at Walkers Creek Trail Head.  Camp 3.  The next day of walking is the final leg of the hike and we are all preparing for it with smoked chicken, beer, and festivities.  PA140074.jpgthis is a UT 40 Miler tradition. Watching the beautiful view and sunset from the hill side makes a great end to a great day of hiking.PA140087.jpgThe last day of hiking the 10.6 mile leg had some road walking.  I took some photos along the way to alleviate the bummer of road walking.  We have plans and hopes to close that final 3 mile gap. The dream is still alive and well.PA150092.jpg
PA150104.jpg

PA150107.jpg

PA150113.jpg

7:53 a.m. on October 17, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
871 forum posts

Nice photos. Sounds like a successful event. Glad to hear the trail is almost reconnected with just a short road section left. I am planning in doing the UNRT one weekend this winter...any maps of the new sections available?

11:45 a.m. on October 17, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,671 reviewer rep
1,130 forum posts

Oh man, I can just picture the line at the latrine in the morning with that big of a crew :) Looks like you all survived that and the giant spider so I'd call it a good trip. With that many folks it won't take you long to lay down that three miles of trail if you get permission. Thanks for sharing so many pics!

6:36 p.m. on October 17, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,261 reviewer rep
154 forum posts

Hello FlipNC  

The only official extended section is the one across from Jumping Off Rock Trailhead on the other side of State Road 1306 that goes over King Mountain and ends at Luther Place Trailhead on Pisgah Covered Bridge Road.  There are no updated USFS maps, but I can send you gpx files if that helps.  

6:38 p.m. on October 17, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,261 reviewer rep
154 forum posts

Thanks Lone Stranger!  The last 3 miles involves acquiring private land and that can be a long process.  

November 20, 2017
Quick Reply