Mt. Moriah NH, 02 December 2017

10:03 p.m. on December 2, 2017 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

This weekend’s hike was Mt. Moriah, NH. At 4049’ it‘s #41 of the NH 48 4K peaks. We took Stony Brook Trail, which is 9.4 miles up & back with just under 3000’ of elevation gain. I hiked with about 25 members of the 4 Seasons Hiking Group, a Meetup group out of Portsmouth NH. I didn‘t take very many pics due to the facts that we had a pretty big group that was spread out and the plan was to be off the mountain before dark. 

E835F4A5-7AEF-4250-A57E-133A7CE1F74C.jpg
A128018B-73DB-4F3A-B53F-0B60913523A5.jpg
689BD08B-3FFF-4CFD-9200-C79CCA2AF95B.jpg
54BB745D-87DB-48A1-8D1E-981608B6322C.jpg
39526CC5-2390-4321-86B0-AC349A9A965F.jpg
Now I have no problem being out after dark, and would have gladly finished the hike in the dark if I could have taken all the pics I wanted. I had not one but 2 headlamps, with plenty of spare batteries. But when hiking with a group you have to stay with the group. 

Anyway, all in all it was a great hike, strenuous but with a lot of good views and some really pretty sections of trail with the snow cover. Only 43 to go!

2:44 p.m. on December 3, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

That's awesome man. New Hampshuh is an exquisite place. thanks for sharing. May the trail rise up to meet you.

2:56 p.m. on December 3, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,337 reviewer rep
896 forum posts

Always great to see your NH photos! Thanks

10:17 p.m. on December 4, 2017 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I just wish the pics did the views justice. I’m going to have to go back up on my own timetable sometime and get more. Hopefully during a new moon so I can do some stargazing, maybe see if there’s a way to take long exposure pics with my iPhone. 

11:08 a.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
2,432 reviewer rep
866 forum posts

My old stomping grounds! I was on a USFS trail crew the rebuilt a section of the Rattle River Trail in '78. Spent a whole summer camped out where the trail starts to level off and head over the ridge to Moriah. My old avatar photo was taken at that camp:

trailcrew.jpg

8:15 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
884 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

That must have been an exhausting summer! How much were you carrying in the pic? The external frame packs could generally handle more than your body could. While in the army I had my large ALICE at about 160 for about a 2 mile hike, carrying a 10-man arctic tent strapped on top of the stuff (uniforms, hygiene gear, munchies, etc) I’d need for 2 weeks as support staff for Expert Field Medical Badge testing. The other guys were carrying the cots, tables, light kits, etc, to make the tent a little more livable. Then we had to hump it back out afterward. Ah, to be 25 or 26 again! LOL

10:00 p.m. on December 5, 2017 (EST)
2,432 reviewer rep
866 forum posts

We'd carry in supplies on Monday, then commute to the work site from that afternoon through Friday morning, so the big loads were mostly getting tools in at the start of the season then just Mondays. The photo was taken at the end of the season, when I was packing all my personal gear out. That's my old Trailwise frame there.

The next season ('78) we were tasked with replacing all the signs on the AT in the WMNF. We had to lug in digging and other tools and then stage them across sections of the AT. The signs and regulation posts were dropped by helicopter, then we picked them up and carried them to their final location. More than once I strapped one or two 8 ft posts and signs and various tools to a wood and canvas packframe and hauled them over a couple, sometimes steep, miles to their final location. The worst was when the heli dropped a bundle in the wrong place, some distance across a deerfly-infested bog from the trail. We had lug everything up to the trail just for starters. All that for like $5 an hour as a work study, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I think my max load in all that and some other trail work was about 120, and that only once or twice. Then there was the time I carried a wheelbarrow on a pack frame in NZ... young and foolish...

December 11, 2017
Quick Reply