My Girlfriend hates my sleeping bag...

1:06 a.m. on February 12, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

This is not really the subject matter which this forum is intended however I told my buddy this story while backpacking this weekend and he agreed it needed to be shared, and I always take the opportunity to laugh at other peoples blunders, so I only feel it is right to put myself out there to be laughed at, so here it is, and it is long...
So this all started before Christmas when I decided I wanted a nice sleeping bag (I had one of the old army extreme cold bags purchased at a flea market, great for camping terrible for backpacking the thing weighed 10lbs or so). So as always to ensure I got the bag I told my brother what I wanted. We have been scamming this game for years and anyone with a sibling I'm sure knows what I mean, I tell him what I want, he tells me what he wants, we make sure mom and dad get it for us. Flawless, they feel like they got us something original without us having to tell them, and we get exactly what we want. However, apparently there were too many choices for either of my parents to make any kind of decision and I was left out in the cold on Christmas morning (pun intended). After a week of complaining and slumming around the house depressed about not having a new sleeping bag to crawl into I did what any 23 year old college student would do when they wanted something, I put on the man pants and promptly called my grandmother. I talk to my grandma at least twice a week so the small talk was minimal, and I decided to try and drop the hit rather than just ask. Well she didnt pick up on it and again I was left in the cold. Down to my last resort I returned to school and decided to kick off the semester by exercising my only remaining option, I picked up double shifts, worked late on week nights, and actually got a second job (all as a waiter/bartender). And this is where I probably should have actually started my story but here is the end of it. So a few weeks of working my tail off and I finally get my new bag (nothing great but I am just getting into this whole backpacking thing). So it had turned an unseasonable terribly cold in Alabama (yes it got down to about 25) so I decided to open the windows in my room turn on two fans and sleep (in my bed) in my brand new sleeping bag. My girlfriend hated this and began complaining feverishly, she even tried to sneak one of the windows closed. Then she tried to tell me I was "stupid" to which I replied I was only testing my gear and wanted to make sure it would truly keep me warm. She insisted that I was stupid, and I am young and made the mistake of switching from defense to offense, so I told her it was in fact her who was stupid. I had informed her I would be opening the windows long before she came over, and in fact she was the idiot who came over wearing flip flops shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. Perhaps she should have taken the time to better prepare herself to sleep in below freezing temperatures. This resulted in a swift kick in the side and a strong shove, which when wrapped in a mummy bag can be devastating. I ended up on the floor with a nice shiner (thanks to the night stand)and my fall was broken by the fact I never do laundry. Luckily my pain brought immediate forgiveness, I decided I would wait to try out my bag, the windows were closed, and all was forgotten. However she still threaten to burn my sleeping bag if I ever pull it out i the bedroom again...

12:17 p.m. on February 12, 2008 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

By any chance are you closely related to Bill S?

10:42 p.m. on February 20, 2008 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
166 forum posts

To be 23 again...you get an A+ for effort. You got pain for the fall and sympathy from the girlfriend. Good trade-off: she could be whipping you forever over your experiment. I did something similar but without a girl friend.During a brutal winter night in the Boston area I opened up my bedroom windows to test out a bag rated to -10. In the middle of the night, my roommate got out of his room and made some bombastic remarks about my plan. Good thing we had been friends since 4th grade. We still are.

9:18 a.m. on February 23, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

...Girlfriend hates your sleeping bag?...simple solution...get a new one! : )

2:21 p.m. on February 26, 2008 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

f_klock, would that be a new sleeping bag... or a new girlfriend?

2:49 p.m. on February 26, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Hmmmm....

4:09 p.m. on February 27, 2008 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Yep.

11:13 p.m. on February 28, 2008 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Diplomatic response, f_klock. Running for office anytime soon?

11:38 p.m. on March 3, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

with the current economic trends the sleeping bag will definitely be more cost effective...

7:01 p.m. on March 26, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I just have to ask this. Why did you not try your new bag outdoors?

11:15 a.m. on March 29, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

I did...later...this was just the first day I got it....

6:21 p.m. on March 30, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Quote:

Diplomatic response, f_klock. Running for office anytime soon?

At this time I have absolutely NO intentions of running for political office unless my current situation changes.

After that, I MAY consider it if requested by an interested party. If that party is willing to make considerable contributions to my campaign YES, I would be honored to represent them by running as the peoples candidate. My affiliations with a particular party are open. :0?!!

5:55 p.m. on April 16, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

After reading this, I don't feel like such a schmuck. I tried my sleeping pad and bag on the living room floor under the window at minus 20 C. Even feels like camping!

2:35 p.m. on April 28, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
169 forum posts

The testing seems quite logical, however, going on the offensive with a girlfriend (or wife) is never a good idea.....
Gear/technique testing around the house can be fun, though!
I can still recall the mixed look of horror and delight when my parents caught me putting an aid route up the chimney of their home (a couple bolts and some mortar chipping for bat-hooks) .. even made a two bolt anchor so I could try out the porta-ledge I'd made from a camp-cot and some nylon webbing .. I ended up not repeating the route as I had to chop the bolts, repair the holes and re-point the bricks where I'd chipped mortar ... didn't get to spend the night in the PAL either (that came later, on a real cliff). I was probably 15 years old at the time ....

4:06 p.m. on April 28, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Unless, of course, the wife/girlfriend is also a gear freak... and tests her own gear in "odd" places. ;)

3:27 p.m. on May 1, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thats a great story,sounds similar to the tricks I pulled when I was younger.Now I live in an old farmhouse in the frozen north,I do not need to open the windows to get it that cold in here. When the dogs water dish freezes on the floor in the kitchen I know its time to get the down bag out...and thats with 2 woodstoves cranking.

1:20 a.m. on July 8, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Even though this is an old topic, its not very far down the page.

SO

there is nothing wrong with trying out your new gear in the house. I have been there myself. I used my then new TNF sleeping bag in my room with the windows open the day it arrived, same for my SD tent in the living room. Good thing they are free standing. Who can say they havent worn new gear out casually.

As for the girlfriend, yikes.

5:44 p.m. on July 8, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

I agree with Fred, if mama ain't happy........

1:11 a.m. on July 10, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

As a quick follow up to this story I just made the same girlfriend sleep out in our back yard in my new Marmont tent. She actually lasted all night, I think because I promised to cook her breakfast in the morning if she did....over the real stove though...not the jet boil...

2:33 p.m. on July 10, 2008 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

I gotta admit your pretty brave to do such a thing, kick out your girlfriend and make her sleep outside! I geuss some people will do anyhting to have someoone else cook for them!
As for the gear testing in the house? I have no problem with that. I've done a few experiments of my own here in central oregon. One night (in the winter) I opened all my windows and broke out the sleeping bag. It is rated for 20 degrees but I wish it was lower, it got so colled in my room that my lava lamp froze! Not to mention I could see my own breath.
But as for that girlfriend... a good swift kick in the hinee should do the trick.

3:05 p.m. on July 10, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Why not just sleep outside? Why open the windows?
Just playing the devils advocate here, but maybe that's what the girls are wondering!
Also the comfort level/performance of the bag will be different outside on the cold ground as opposed to inside the house and on top of your bed. So you are probably getting false readings inside the house.

2:13 p.m. on July 16, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Is everyone responding a guy? I'm a girl (young woman...whatever) and also try my gear out at home. I remember one January during college when I happened to be at My parents house in Michigan. My parents turn off the heat at night and even with the windows closed I could see my breath. I slept in my down (-5 Fahrenheit) bag all month because there was no other way to stay warm.
Now I live in an old communist bloc apartment in Bucharest, Romania, and have done most of my hiking here. I tend to wear gear around my apartment when I really want to be at the mountains. I always wonder what my upstairs and downstairs neighbors think when I walk around in winter mountain boots (they haven't said anything yet), or what people would think when I use my headlamp to read when the electricity goes out, or hang around in Mammut thermal shirts and mittens because I'm cheap and don't turn the heat up.

6:20 p.m. on July 16, 2008 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hi Bemis, You do what works for you! If I was single I would do the same thing.
BTY I live Southeast US. Also, I'm a guy, we do have a few ladies posting here.

1:29 a.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Hey Bemis... welcome to trailspace! Nice to have another woman here. Your story reminds me of when I first bought my -40 Sorels - wore them around the house in mid-May in Southern Ontario. Another nail in my coffin, as far as my parents were concerned - I think they've given up on figuring me out.
Good thing I have friends who understand completely (one friend I have doesn't even have a mattress to sleep on at his house - he sleeps full time on his thermarest, amongst his climbing gear and drum kit.) Gotta have your priorities!

8:38 a.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I rig climbing and rescue lines on the joists in my basement and in the rafters of the barn at work, to try out new knots and gear. Then I'll hang aroung in my harness for a while. I've done this in the dark too, using a headlamp, so I know I can do it if I ever need to. Better to find out if there's a problem close to home than to have something go wrong WAY out somewhere - right? (Total Justification.)

My wife thinks I'm crazy, and my boss just shakes her head.

8:50 a.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

i love it when TSA confiscates your gear here in Ft. Lauderdale, but only cause that means they will give it to me :-)

then I get to go test it out.

although I'm not sure the condo association would enjoy seeing me rappel from the side of the building!

2:46 p.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

The TSA confiscates climbing gear? Why? Surely they've seen enough of it to know what it is.

I've had this discussion on here and on the tree climbers forum a couple of times, and I was under the impression that most airports were cool with sporting equipment as long as it was checked.

7:21 p.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Welcome Bemis - an older lady here.

Hmmmm.... Turneej, might want to take 'talking to women 101' before getting much more serious with the ladies. :D

8:53 p.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

(edited: doh, can't put up images)

10:34 p.m. on July 17, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

At the risk of hijacking this thread even further, I wanted to say how pleased I am to see more women posting lately on Trailspace. Welcome to all!

6:10 a.m. on August 26, 2008 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

As my old hiking buddy use to say, "Hikers love chicks with (ice) picks!"

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply