Night Hike In the Snow

9:21 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

Not a big trip, but I thought I'd share.

My wife and I just returned from a 2-3 mile night hike in 4" of fresh powder. Not enough snow YET to break out the snowshoes so we just grabbed the poles and headlamps and set out. A standout experience was when we passed through a hemlock cathedral, branches bent to the ground under the weight of the fresh snow and freezing rain, forming perfect gothic arches. Religious I tell you!

9:25 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Good for you, I love night hiking!

7:54 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Take some pictures next time. It must have been beautiful.

Did you have light from the moon?

8:30 p.m. on January 11, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

No moonlight, the storm was pretty much still raging and had us socked in. That's one of the reasons we sought respite in the trees. Tonight would have been the better night to go as we have a big bright moon and clear skies.

6:27 a.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

From my perspective you guys North of me are fortunate to live in an area that receives snow.
Sometimes I just go gaze in the freezer and try to remember what it was like.

It looks like work may prevent me from going to the Whites this winter, it looks as though I may have to find some snow closer to home.

I too, would like to see some pictures, do you and your wife ever take the doggies out in the snow?

7:02 a.m. on January 12, 2009 (EST)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

...do you and your wife ever take the doggies out in the snow?

Not on longer outings. Both are single coated creatures (and a bit spoiled). They get cold and pitifully begin to shiver early on :-(. I wouldn't want anything to happen to the young beagle either - she's a scent chaser.

They get just enough snow time in the fenced in yard, then they huddle close to the back door and beg to come back in!

I had a lab mix who would, hike and even pull a sled with me. Sometimes she would go out and nap in the snow. Not these two!

I really do need to start carrying a camera more often. I should get a smaller point-and- shoot that I can keep inside my jacket.

9:57 p.m. on January 19, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I went backpacking on a short 3 day 2 night trip in mid December and I got caught up in a freezing rain and snow storm. Although it was very beautiful it was also very cold I was only expecting the temps to down to about 28 to 22 degrees but the temp didn't stop going down until it hit about 0. I guess im lucky that I got to my favorite lean-to before it got to nasty. All in all it was a good trip and very very pretty the way the ice drew down the smaller branches and the brush over the trail and the stream. And you are right it did resemble gothic arches.

10:16 p.m. on January 19, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

mike068,...so now you plan on possible 0 deg temps right?

Been there, done that!
Ice storm on Grandfather Mountain, it was soo cold....

12:57 a.m. on January 20, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Well to tell you the truth trouthunter I knew better to start with but I guess I just needed a refresher course on being repaired. I have been there done that too im just hard headed lol But who would have guessed you would need a poncho in December in New York.

9:10 a.m. on January 20, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Well you're one up on me because I don't know much about New York. So I'm guessing you got wet maybe, and weren't ready for 0 deg's?
I fell into a stream once (don't ask, HaHa), and had to walk a mile back to my truck in cold blowing wind, I was miserable.

During winter months I try to stay prepared and have a rain suit, extra clothing, and other emergency essentials in the detachable lid of my pack, the lid turns into a lumbar pack. I keep it with me on all my ventures out of camp. I read an article on this once and gave it a try, works for me.

12:13 p.m. on January 20, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

A stream huh its probably a very funny story. Most of us have some blundered trips that stand out in our mind.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply