About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Hike up into the San Francisco Peaks today

9:13 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

I went up to the Arizona Snow Bowl area today and hiked 4 miles up 2000 feet of volcanic rock and tree covered slopes to a saddle between Agassiz Peak and Mt Humphreys. I will post my pictures from the hike in my photo page as soon as I photostitch the panoramics together.

It was a little windy on the saddle but about 60 degrees. There were many others on the trail all day. I met a couple older women from Bejing China on their highest hike anywhere before.

The fall colors were great in the huge old Aspens along the way.

10:15 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

good for you Gary, it was a great day to hike!

I did so myself.

Looking forward to the photos.

windy is better than rainy...eh?

12:33 a.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Was up there on Kachina trail on Sept. 8 and saw nobody. Colors were not changing then but I bet it is BEAUTIFUL now !! Hiked the Flag area for a few days before a 16 day GC rafting/ Hiking trip and loved every second of it. Also went to Walnut Canyon and Sunset Crater which were both great hiking. Quite an area for hiking Gary !!

7:35 a.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

Gary have you ever been down in West Clear Creek Canyon along the Mogollon Rim? I took a couple of short trips down there, one in fall color, many years ago and have never forgotten it. I would love to go back there one day.

4:50 p.m. on October 18, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

See my images from yesterdays hike in my photos albums heres a sample:

Looking northeast from Agassiz Saddle., Photostitched image panoramic.

1:43 a.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

I also placed a panoramic view of the image above on the San Francisco Peaks aerial view at Google Earth.

6:31 p.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

Thanks so much for the photos Gary, not the same as being there of course, but I enjoyed them. Much different than the S. Appalachians.

11:16 a.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Yes- VERY nicely done Gary. An area that is dear to my heart. I looked at your gallery and didn't realize there was another entry to Walnut Canyon ? We just went to the main part. It was great- but your pictures of the other part of the canyon looked interesting ? Do yo have directions ? Thanks

8:15 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

Take Butler east towards Enterprise Rd. Then when you come to the Urban bike trail heading south follow this down and under the interstate (40) and continue on till you come to a pond, go around the pond to the east and the opposite side, then up the steep trail, stay on this till you come to a sign saying Fisher Point about 3 miles in. Going towards Fisher Point follow until you see Walnut Canyon on your left. Go past the trail to Fisher Point and enter the canyons mouth. About 1/4 mile in there is a cave opening on the south side of the canyon, this is the largest cave going in about 50 feet. There is a smaller cave about another quarter mile up the canyon also on the south side or your right. Be sure to take a flashlight as both caves are dark. The first one I used a flash on my camera aiming the infrared light meter towards the lit entrance to get the image I took inside the cave. There is a seep or spring running down the wall in the big room area towards the back, tho I did not know it till I saw my digital image later when I downloaded to my PC.

After about another mile the canyon gets very brushy and is hard to go any further into. There are many nice sandstone walls along the way. I was there in the spring on the 6th of June. There was not enough water running down the canyon to make a creek but there were small pools every now and then.

I may go back there this next weekend to see how much its overgrown since. If I do I will post the Fall images afterwards.

See topo map below (I made the map at www.mapcard.com) The red line is the bike route, you can also hike it. Click on the topo image below and it will open the image in my photos page much larger.

9:15 p.m. on October 20, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Thanks Gary !!Will be back up there next year for a rafting trip and will check it out. Much appreciated-Thanks

2:41 a.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,929 forum posts

Look me up when you come chances are I will be here. I can show you where the mouth of Walnut Canyon is.

11:43 a.m. on October 21, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Will do- sounds like you have great insight. Much appreciated !!

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply