Tetrahedron Provincial Park

7:55 p.m. on February 19, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

Tetrahedron Provincial Park, B.C. Canada.

February 03-07, 2010.

Wow what a great hike. John (my hiking partner) and I drove over to Gibson’s and met Pat at Gram’s Pub. We stayed the night at his place. We woke up and had breakfast in Seashelt before heading to the park. After driving for a short while we found the logging road and followed it to the trailhead parking lot. We hiked up the road for a short time before snow was to be found. We put on the snowshoes and hiked to Edwards Cabin. After a lunch break on the trail we found that we had missed the trail marker so we went cross country for a while until we found the trail markers. No one had been this way for about a week or more so there were no tracks to be found. We made it to Edwards Cabin in about three hours. The route in was undulating and crossed a meadow with several wet areas. Bridges were well snow covered and for the most part unusable.

We set up in the cabin and spent the night there. With a wood stove and fire wood we were spoiled, it was also very warm that night what with our winter sleeping bags and all. We slept on the benches and table instead of going upstairs. In the morning we geared up and decided to try for the Mount Steel Cabin. With the fog, sleet, snow, and wind we had a hard time finding the trail markers up to Steel Cabin. Boy it is a short way about 3km but what an uphill climb. Cabin to Cabin 396m (1,299ft). John had a hard time crossing the creek and fell in. We passed about three areas that could have caused problems for us if there had been an avalanche at the time. While looking for a trail marker, the fog lifted and we could see the cabin. We set up shop in the cabin. This one had a thermometer reading -01 c. inside. With a wood stove and wood again we soon had the thermometer reading 18c. This one also had a large pot for melting snow on the wood stove. We sure saved a lot of fuel on this trip. No one joined us here so we relaxed for the night by playing cards. Again a warm sleep, this time upstairs on the second floor.

Dawn and lots of light. With many pics taken we made breakfast and cleared out heading back to Edwards Cabin. It took us 2 hours to the cabin. We feel that one could descend from this cabin and make the parking lot in about 4 -5 hours. At the bridge crossing we met up with a group of 4 people on ski’s making for Steel Cabin. We told them that they were in for a warm cabin on their arrival and wished them well.

Arriving back at Edward Cabin, we again set up shop and enjoyed lunch. After many games of crib we had company for the first time in the cabin. 2 women came in and dumped their packs. They went back out and went for a short hike. With darkness upon us in the cabin the women returned. We sorted out the living arrangements while dinner was cooked. The women cooked their dinner a little later. We all enjoyed the extra light from their gaz lamp.

The ice was broken over dinner and all settled down and relaxed a bit swapping camping adventures. We set up our beds upstairs at one end of the cabin away from the women’s area. 6am came early for us as we packed up had breakfast and left the cabin to the women. Our trip to the trailhead was a fast 2 hours. We loaded up in the truck and were back at Pat’s house by 12 noon. We changed, said our goodbyes, and made our way to the ferry terminal. After 2 ferry trips we were back home at 6pm. A very good time.

Trailhead 837m (2,746ft) Edwards Cabin 1119m (3,671ft), Steel Cabin 1515m (4,970ft). Elevation gain from Trailhead to Edwards Cabin 282m (925ft), Cabin to Cabin 396m (1,299ft). Trailhead to Steel Cabin 678m (2,224ft) overall elevation gain. Mount Steel 1646m (5,400ft)

10:26 p.m. on February 19, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

You had me at PUB.

But I have to admit cabin camping is a lot of fun, I've done it twice.

I have a Camping Gaz lantern and love it. I only take it for group trips, but it is very compact and has a charm you can't get from LED lights.

I've never been on a Ferry, how much did that cost?

Thanks for the stats at the end, not having been in the area, it makes it easier to understand what your trip was like.

I'm glad you got to go!

11:13 p.m. on February 20, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

Trouthunter

Yes it was hard to leave the pub, especially when it was water side with an awesome view.
One must suffer for ones hobbies though.
This is my first winter camp in cabins. Most of the time I am in tents overnight.

Yes the lantern was enjoyable. I will have to look for something like it. I will probably stay with a white gas type as its easier to have just one type of fuel. When you make it out here you will have to take at least one or more ferry trips. Living on an Island one gets used to having to ride the ferries. As for costs get your crying rag out and your hands on your wallet.
Costs 1 driver, 1 passenger and Vehicle (costs don’t add driver and vehicle on schedule)
Naniamo to Horseshoe Bay route. 1 hour 35 Min. Approx one way.
Passenger $13.50
Passenger $13.50
Vehicle $45.00
30 cent surcharge (Harbor authority).
Total $72.30 one way (need two times $144.60)
Horseshoe Bay to Langdale Route. 40 Min. Approx one way.
Passenger $11.85
Passenger $11.85
Vehicle $39.90
Total $63.60 (Only need to pay one time)
$144.60
$63.60
Total $208.20 4 hours 20 min

I’d go again, and again and probably again.

11:58 a.m. on March 4, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Mmmm. Pub.......

I am jealous of all these winter snow trips. Don't have the time to get out for several more weeks. Oh well.

There is something so much more "real" and compelling about a lit flame for light than atrificial sources. I mean, I carry LED lights always, but a lantern, candle, or fire just can't be rivaled in the way it effects a weary soul at the end of a long day.

11:13 p.m. on April 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
84 forum posts

Pics of trip are uploaded.

Go to photobucket type in Tetrahedron hike, some pics will come up. scroll over a pic and click on Redpatch5. Doing this will take you to all 82 outstanding Pics(LOL) and one(LOL) cruel video. (Its only my brother-in-law and no he did not get too wet.)

It was a trip well worth doing. As a side note, of the 4 (yes only 4) winter camps I have been on, we have yet to be caught in bad weather. I guess I'm due next year now. Any way enjoy the pics.

9:00 p.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

Cool redpatch5,

Yep with regards to the weather, your numbers bound to come up sooner or later.

Here in the Southeast US I don't have to worry as much about deep snow and such, but those super-cell thunderstorms that pop up can be scary.

I'll checkout those photos.

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply