About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

It's Winter for a Day in Ohio

1:00 p.m. on February 25, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I just wanted to tell everyone that I'm stoked for my first Winter hike! My best friend and I are planning about 12 miles through Ohio's Hocking Hills country on a trail named for everyone's favorite grandmother of the AT. We hit the trailhead sometime after 8AM this Saturday expecting light snow and temperatures hovering several degrees below freezing. I've hiked this trail a few times, but always in the Summer.

Hopefully I'll have this thread decked out with pictures and commentary by early next week!

9:43 p.m. on February 26, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Sounds great. We finally got some steady snow here in northern Ohio. Have fun and remember my favorite parts about winter hiking -- no bugs, no spider webs, no torrential sweating while standing still, just stay warm! Can't wait to hear your followup...

4:53 p.m. on February 28, 2010 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Tinkrtoy, dont forget the excellent views.

7:30 a.m. on March 1, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Yep, no bugs, no spider webs, no humidity...no roads. Hocking County got something like foot of snow Friday into early Saturday morning. The local government, in all their wisdom, decided that it would be better to close roads to non-essential travel rather than to clear them. We're aiming for a second attempt this weekend.

9:02 a.m. on March 1, 2010 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Bummer. That would be one of the winter downsides. The snow can be unpredictable even here in Ohio. I grew up on the east coast and I can remember one winter backpacking excursion that my college roommate and I took over spring break (mid-March) to hike the High Peaks region (specifically, around Mt. Marcy) in the Adirondacks. Man, I was not fully prepared for the fact that it was still high winter up there. I can recall being on Marcy's cap (above treeline, icy, lots of National Geographic-esque views) and telling my roommate that I was pretty sure that the Girlscouts hiked this trail in the summertime. We were definitely winter challenged that trip!

Good luck on your next attempt.

10:02 a.m. on March 1, 2010 (EST)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

Girl Scouts! That's classic!

The thing that's so easy for us in the Western part of the state to forget is that the Eastern part has some pretty radical geography and most of it is pretty remote. It doesn't take much bad weather to cause them problems.

There was trail maintenance scheduled for Saturday too. Not sure if it happened or not.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply