1st Backpacking Outing Since the 80's

3:58 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

New to the forum and thought I might share a little about myself. Used to backpack a lot in the 70's and 80's. But got married and for some reason other priorities seemed more important with what little free time I had.

The desire to do wildlife photography has drawn me back into getting out more. Few months ago started day hiking and aquiring gear again because I had given all my old stuff away.

Made my 1st off the road overnighter last weekend. My favorite local spot is the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. They have a permit primitive camping area that's fun.

A couple photos from the trip. Found a nice site to enjoy the sunrise the next morning.

4:45 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace, ambersdad. I hope you enjoy being part of the community.

FYI, I edited your post to show your two images (click on the "insert/edit image" icon, which looks like a tree, and if it's an external image, put the full url in the Image Url field).

Thanks for sharing them with us.

7:48 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

Thanks for sharing the two fotos. I lived in Wichita Falls and went to college in Denton and spent several days in the Wichita Mountains and up on Mt Scott back in 1968. This was before they even made cameras, or at least before I ever got one for trips.

I like your two pole hoop tent, it looks like something Eureka makes but I'm probably wrong. What is it?

8:44 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thanks Alicia!

Thanks for sharing the two fotos. I lived in Wichita Falls and went to college in Denton and spent several days in the Wichita Mountains and up on Mt Scott back in 1968. This was before they even made cameras, or at least before I ever got one for trips.

I like your two pole hoop tent, it looks like something Eureka makes but I'm probably wrong. What is it?

It's an Alps Mystique. It looks to be a good starter tent until I figure out want I really want.

8:50 p.m. on March 26, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Welcome ambersdad,

I'm glad you got to get out and enjoy nature and exercise that camera!

Your tent favors mine a bit.

Thanks for the photos!

8:01 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thanks!

I love getting out and away from things. Getting some nice camera gear has kind of brought me back to my roots.

I've spent a few hours reading over a lot of posts here. This is a very nice, well organized site with what looks to be "easy to get along with" individuals that love the outdoors.

randy

8:08 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

I agree. This site is fast(pages change quickly with a click of the mouse), pictures are easy to post and do not become thumbnails, and the Gear Review section is awesome.

11:25 a.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

That's a great view from the tent! You really know how to pick a spot to kick-off a second go at backpacking. Are you doing them solo or taking someone along to educate and grow?

12:47 p.m. on March 27, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

That's a great view from the tent! You really know how to pick a spot to kick-off a second go at backpacking. Are you doing them solo or taking someone along to educate and grow?

Thanks.

Right now it's solo. My daughter is an upper level competitive gymnast and doesn't have the free time for backpacking. My wife has no interest. Roughing it in her way of thinking is a hotel that only has a shower and no tub. :-) I did get her to do some weekend camping 3 years ago in Minnesota.

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply