Big Bend National Park

9:02 a.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Spent last week there and came away from the trip very pleased. Mostly did desert hiking and hiking around the Rio Grande River.

Changed my plans for the mountain hike. Did a one day trip around the rim of the Chisos Mountains. About a 10 mile loop with 2400' in elevation change. Photo from the southwest rim looking about 6000' down to the desert below.

randy

8:10 p.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Beautiful country. Sounds like you had a good time. Any problems of significance at all?

9:44 p.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I got dehydrated the first day desert hike. Had to make a conscious effort to sip water every few minutes. The temp gauge on my vehicle read 106 that day. A cold front rolled in Tuesday evening and made for more comfortable hiking.

randy

6:17 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

106! Yikes. I try not to do anything outside when it's 106, unless I've already got my iced drink in hand and a sunshade over head.

7:31 p.m. on April 15, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Thanks for sharing your trip,

I like the photos, I have never hiked in a desert but would love to head out west sometime and give it a go.

106 is warm, do you happen to know what the humidity was?

6:01 a.m. on April 17, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thanks for sharing your trip,

I like the photos, I have never hiked in a desert but would love to head out west sometime and give it a go.

106 is warm, do you happen to know what the humidity was?

I think that day it was below 15%. Because of the water issue I did day hikes.

A few more photos.

Vulture by the Rio Grande River.

Vulture waiting for the wind to pick up before leaving the roost one morning @ Dugout Wells.

Claret Cup in bloom along the Pinnacles Trail in the Chisos.

Took my clothes and rinsed them out during a shower @ Rio Grande Village. Then a makeshift clothes line at camp to quickly dry them out.

Javelina

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply