Roommates just left for California to start a bicycle tour

8:23 p.m. on May 31, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

My roommates just hitched a ride with a trucker friend to the California coast. They are heading up from somewhere south of L.A. to ride to Eugene Oregon. Here they are this morning in front of Flagstaff's Macys Coffee house. It is their first bicyce tour.

8:06 p.m. on June 4, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Bad news today!

My friends called me from Santa Paula CA this afternoon. Their bikes and all but the tent and sleeping bags they slept in last night were stolen while they slept. They lost their laptop, my friends wife had her purse in the handle bar bag and lost all their cash and credit cards, their Cell phone and everything that was not in the tent with them.

2:44 a.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

That really sucks!!! I'm sure everyone hear feels the same as me when it comes to a thief so I won't bother saying anything about that. Did thay have to cancel there trip or are they still going to try to make it work?

9:03 a.m. on June 5, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Well, I am not sure they called yesterday and said they had to try to replace their credit cards. Then they would look into get new bikes.

When I bicycled across Alaska in August 2006 I rode all the way down to Seward and then took the ferry to Valdez. Then rode back to Anchorage, My first night in Anchorage I had my bike stolen. I ended up staying in Anchorage until January and flyng back to Utah.

I hope to hear from my friends soon to find out what they are going to do. They had planned this bicycle tour all spring here in Flagstaff.

7:24 p.m. on June 11, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

They found their bikes, or I should say the police found them, but the wheels were gone. They got used wheels from the Salvation Army and some packs. They started pedaling north again but now after three days are walking becuase her back wheel was bad. They are about 60 miles south of Santa Cruz now.

12:01 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

They just left Big Sur yesterday heading for Santa Cruz. Her bike had a bad back wheel, one of the ones the Salvation Army gave them after their bikes were found wheel-less. They bought a new wheel froma bike shop in Big Sur.

3:01 p.m. on June 14, 2010 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
207 forum posts

Glad to hear they are able to continue on there trip.

7:54 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

My roommates have run into another problem. Yesterday while cycling north they got onto a oneway road and were traveling in the wrong direction with out knowing it. It was early morning with no traffic untill a policeman stopped them for cycling in the wrong direction. They were asked what they were doing and told him they were bicycling north to Eugene OR. They were given a citation and for being broke had one of their bikes taken till they could come up with $50. So now they are stranded again till they get their credit card replaced by mail later this week.

12:42 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

That's a real crappy way for law enforcement to handle that situation IMO.

I hope their luck improves Gary.

9:34 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Remind me never to cycle up from Long Beach to San Francisco! They have had the worst problems along that stretch. Maybe cause they are going the wrong way, a bike shop owner said they were the first tourers he has known going north, 99.99% of cyclists go north to south.

7:34 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

My roommates have run into another problem. Yesterday while cycling north they got onto a oneway road and were traveling in the wrong direction with out knowing it. It was early morning with no traffic untill a policeman stopped them for cycling in the wrong direction. They were asked what they were doing and told him they were bicycling north to Eugene OR. They were given a citation and for being broke had one of their bikes taken till they could come up with $50. So now they are stranded again till they get their credit card replaced by mail later this week.

That kind of news makes me really wonder about the society we live in today.

8:06 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Getting like a police state.

3:02 a.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I just made a comment about another justice system topic.

........... Police state is right, Gary.

Though I do not know all of the details it sounds like pure BS on the officers part.

You have my email so contact me and I will wire the $50.00

10:01 p.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Thats very nice of you Kent, I just sent you an email that I want to call them first. I called them, left a messege to call me back. It would be Moneygram, do you have a Moneygram place closeby? As soon as I hear from them I will send you my friends name and all the information you'll need.

3:33 p.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

This all is a powerful example of not only modern American society(it would certainly happen in other countries, too), but in some just plan bad luck. The particulars might help in knowing how to prevent future bike thefts, like were they camping off the road in a treeline or in a car campground or what? Sometimes it pays to get way back in the woods so you've got to roll your gear and everything else in to do some stealth camping. It's like a war zone and you have to hide from the "enemy". Or do what one guy did and run a line at night from your bikes to your tent and attached to your bag or pad or body.

4:16 p.m. on June 25, 2010 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

It was their first bike tour. They took advice from lots of people like myself who had done bike tours many times. I am not sure the curcimstances of the how and why their bikes were stolen.

I usually lock my bike to the outside of my tent or take it in with me as I did even with a small two person TNF Tadpole tent.. I have about 20 tours since 1982 and except for a bike stolen in Anchorage AK while at a youth hostel, I have never had my bike taken while on tour. It was unlocked outside a hostel that was completely surrounded by a fence. But I had gotten a lil drunk and neglected to lock it. The next morning it was gone. I had ridden it from Prudoe Bay to Seward, all the way across the state north to south.

Personally I would have never ridden from L.A. to Eugene OR, but would have started in San Francisco at the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge and went north. They were very often in many city areas where camping in the woods was not available. Even some of the campgrounds like they said in Big Sur, Santa Monica, Santa Cruz and others offered no walk/bike in site only sites for car and RVs. They usually had to sneak off into nonhousing areas and sleep in ditches along the road.

When hitchhiking and bike touring across the USA myself since 1977 I always tried to avoid cities, going around them or ensuring a hitched ride would take me thru to the other side. I have had my share of trouble with the police just for being a transient.

Currently they are on their way back to Arizona by Greyhound having gave up on the touring north.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply