A few Day Hikes in The Wichita's

8:43 p.m. on July 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Drove down for a few days last week. Enjoyed the trip. Started out on a hike to the top of Granite Mountain. Always try to get a decent shot of elk there. Caught this cow and calf that morning heading down a ravine for water and shade. It was already around 90 degrees.

A shot from the top looking north back towards Sunset Peak.

While Hiking down by Burford Lake, spotted this turkey.

Found this beautiful fawn by Quanah Parker Lake.

Real excitement was when I decided to try and get some shots of a decent sized bull. He got ticked as soon as I was 10 feet or so away from the Yukon. Kicked dirt, threw up his tail, and then dropped his head down and rumbled so loud I thought the ground was shaking. Got this shot and then casually retreated to a safer distance.

Stopped below the dam of Jed Johnson Lake among some American Basket Flower/Centaurea americana and took a few shots of the White-Lined Sphinx 'Hyles lineata'.

The next morning it was lightly raining. Tried to stalk some elk but an unseen bull bison in a shallow depression was between us and ruined that opportunity. Spotted these 3 bucks but the light just wasn't good enough to get a really good shot from that distance.

With no cover to get any closer, it was time to head back to the road. The rain started picking up, so I decided to head back home.

randy

7:14 p.m. on July 9, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

A lot of good wildlife shots there, that's cool.

The Bison does look ticked off, but maybe a belly rub would calm him down?

I'm glad you got to get out and do some hiking, thanks for the trip report.

9:09 p.m. on July 9, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Where are the Wichita's? Sounds a lot like the word, Ouachita's which are in Oklahoma and Arkansas. I went to college in them in 1974-75, near Poteau, Oklahoma.

Nice pictures, I especially like the one of the hummingbird style moth and flower, is that a Thistle?

10:38 p.m. on July 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Trouthunter,

I nominate you as the official BBRM (Bison Belly Rub Man) for Trailspace.

Gary,

The Wichita's are some of the oldest mountains, translate into smallest, on earth and are located in southwestern Oklahoma.

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/

Yep, it's a thistle. It's a fairly common plant in that area and for Oklahoma for that matter.

randy

12:36 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I thought at first that you had gotten to with-in ten feet of the Buffler. I thought; Crazy man.

Great pictures! ............. Elk in OK? I never knew.

Pretty country.

5:58 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

10 feet? Yeah, that would be crazy all right. Came around a large juniper cross country hiking there a few months ago and came face to face with a bull. I set a land speed record climbing up a boulder.

Also came across another worked up dude the 1st day there. He kept slapping his tail around in an erratic manner and shaking his head back and forth.

It's funny what some guys will do with females downwind.

randy

6:33 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

randy

Now that made me laugh!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

(But I think it's upwind?)

LOL!

7:26 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

This is a place on the top of my list to take a backpacking trip to. I have been saying I need to go for at least 3 years now. These pictures are making feel the excitement to go. Thanks for posting.

7:52 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

This is a place on the top of my list to take a backpacking trip to. I have been saying I need to go for at least 3 years now. These pictures are making feel the excitement to go. Thanks for posting.

If interested, give me a holler some time and we can maybe meet down there and do some roaming.

randy

8:01 a.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

ambersdad said:

randy

Now that made me laugh!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

(But I think it's upwind?)

LOL!

That's what I get for posting on the internet and watching a ball game at the same time. Don't know which end is up. :-)

6:02 p.m. on July 11, 2010 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
218 forum posts

I will have to make plans a bit ahead to do it. It is over a days drive for me, so unlike alot of the trips I make, I cant do it on short notice. However, I would like to shoot for the spring. Maybe in April?

6:57 p.m. on July 11, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

April is probably not a bad month. Historically we average about 70-80 for highs and 40-50 for lows through the month. Some Aprils can be very wet, but I think we average about 2 1/2 inches then.

Primitive camping permits (only 10 are issued every 3 day time period) are pretty easy to get that time of year if you have an interest and Camp Doris (car camping) has fairly sparse occupancy.

8:02 a.m. on July 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

This was the bison that was ragging on me. I was blocking his path to a dust bath. It's amazing how many insects can be on an animal that size. You can see the swarm to his left downwind.

11:33 p.m. on July 18, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

I think it to be to his right?... looks like dirt to me.

7:29 a.m. on July 19, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I think it to be to his right?... looks like dirt to me.

a slip of the keyboard. :-) Photo left. There is a every large swarm of insects.

A crop of the original pic.

6:08 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Oh........ No wonder he was a little grumpy. :)

9:00 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

So was this in the Mt. Scott area? Are there places to camp on the trails or do you base camp and then day hike different areas? We were there once when the kids were small, probably 10 years ago. We've been wanting to take our scout troop back for some hiking.

10:03 a.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

So was this in the Mt. Scott area? Are there places to camp on the trails or do you base camp and then day hike different areas? We were there once when the kids were small, probably 10 years ago. We've been wanting to take our scout troop back for some hiking.

Yes, it is. There are man made trails, but no camping on them. I personally avoid those trails and prefer to follow game trails. Elk, deer, and turkey are easier to find that way. :-)

Except for the 10 permit per 3 day hike into the Charon's Wilderness area, all camping is restricted to campgrounds.

Scouts and other groups use the Fawn Creek campground. It is a primitive campground that I have enjoyed using when our church does father/son or father/daughter campouts.

It is very popular with scouts from Oklahoma and many of the nearby states.

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/fawncreek.html

10:44 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
45 forum posts

Thanks for the link. I'd like to go in the fall when it's a little cooler if we can swing it schedule wise. We'd like to make a side stop at the salt plains to dig sellenite(sp.?) crystals as well and I think that ends in October.

8:02 p.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,054 forum posts

Thanks for the trip report and sharing those great pictures, Randy. I enjoyed them.

2:20 p.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Thanks Alicia.

A couple photos from 2 years ago of my daughter Amber boulder hopping at the Fawn Creek campground.

5:03 a.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
739 reviewer rep
677 forum posts

<p>Nice wildlife pictures, and I love the kind of weathered ancient granite (?) terrain like in the Fawn Creek photos</p>

7:24 a.m. on July 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

Yes, it's granite.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply