SNP Mary's Rock with my new Hiking Buddies

1:34 p.m. on November 15, 2010 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Meet Whitney and Sierra. Our new Boxer/Beagle girls. We picked them up from a rescue a week ago Saturday. The story goes the Beagle jumped the fence and mated with the Boxer. The woman who owned the boxer had her dog chained to a doghouse and the puppies and mommy were left to fend for themselves. Starving and infested with fleas tics and worms, the rescue removed them from the home. We went to pick up one puppy and came home with 2.

My wife and I are pretty excited. They did really well on our first hike. A four miler up to Mary's Rock.  They will be limited to warm weather spring/summer/fall hikes due to the short hair but we can live with that. We are going to be sure to get them out on the trail often.

647.jpg

717.jpg

Yesterday was their first trail day.

615.jpg

They LOVED it!

616.jpg
We could hardly keep up. We took fewer breaks than is normal for Michelle and I. They pushed us hard!

Here is Sierra posing for her money shot.
673.jpg

And the sisters together.
665.jpg

It will be 6 or 7 months before they go out for their first overnighter.

We are looking forward to new experiences on the trail.

4:38 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

Nice photos! Your dogs look very sweet. Congratulations on adopting them and giving them a good home... where they get to do neat things like hike!

5:54 p.m. on November 16, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Glad to see you involving your dogs. Too many people nowadays just keep their dogs at home and don't go out with them. Juno, my siberian husky, comes with me on all of my day hikes and backpacking trips.

May Whitney and Sierra give you many years of love out with you on the trails. I have never seen a boxer/beagle mix, they look very cute.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply