Linville Gorge 3/18 - 3/20

7:28 p.m. on April 2, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

My brother and I spent a great weekend in The Linville gorge a couple weeks ago and I shot a few videos so I figured I share... Hope you enjoy!

Part 1:

Part 2:

1:07 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Okay, first of all, nice job with the video! Most people don't realize how much work sometimes goes into shooting video on top of all the other things you have to do while hiking in rugged terrain.

Second, do both of you guys have WB Blackbird hammocks?

Third, did you see any fish, or anyone fishing in Linville river? I'm told it does not hold many fish in the lower stretches through the gorge.

Linville gorge is close to being at the top of my list now, hopefully by this fall.

Thanks for the video!

5:59 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Okay, first of all, nice job with the video! Most people don't realize how much work sometimes goes into shooting video on top of all the other things you have to do while hiking in rugged terrain.

Second, do both of you guys have WB Blackbird hammocks?

Third, did you see any fish, or anyone fishing in Linville river? I'm told it does not hold many fish in the lower stretches through the gorge.

Linville gorge is close to being at the top of my list now, hopefully by this fall.

Thanks for the video!

Yes they are both WBBB's and I'll tell you it sleeps so wonderfully. It was well eorth the month wait (but hey the guy does each one himself). Did not see any fish or anyone fishing but I never have up there (maybe because it's quite rugged to get down and out to the river). 

I would definitely advise a trip there and there are some really knowledgeable guys at linvillegorge.net that can answer just about any questions you may have with anything to do with the gorge!

8:24 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Thanks for sharing these vids.  Hawksbill Mt in Linville and the Hangover Mt in Slickrock both favor each other and look similar.  I pulled several trips in the Gorge but never had a camera at the time to record images, sob.

On your first video, if you look at the waterfall between seconds 10-23, you'll see a small rock ledge to the right of the falls.  Me and my backpacking buddies Johnny B and Camptrails Bob climbed to the top of that ledge and jumped off in the pool below.  We set up camp nearby on the right bank of the river.

I alway love to see Table Rock on my trips into Linville, Steels Creek, and the Grandfather district of Pisgah.  There's some great backpacking in that area, I guess it's all called the Wilson Creek backcountry.  And Gorge miles are just like Citico/Slickrock miles:  Rough.

As a footnote, I had a clarinet student back in the late 1970's who stood at the tourist overlook above the Falls and actually fell into the falls and got swept downstream and over the big shute you show in the beginning.  She was all messed up and told me it broke "every bone in her body."  She was obviously lopsided and had one leg shorter than the other.

Pisgah rivers are so great.  Why?  Because of the big rock canyons and boulder-forming pools. 

8:41 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

Oh....I almost forgot to ask:

At the end of video no. 2, is that the famous strawberry rhubarb pie?

Thanks for the heads up on the link.

9:19 p.m. on April 3, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

I just watched your trip report and have to say. It was great thanks for shareing it here...The music you used as well added to the video IMO..great job....

8:54 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

most definitely!

9:41 p.m. on April 4, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,478 forum posts

most definitely!

Was it as good as I've heard?

I've got to get up that way.

BTW- I have a Hennessey hammock, and I'm strongly thinking of getting a WBBB, do you mind telling me which version you guys have?

6:27 p.m. on April 5, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

most definitely!

Was it as good as I've heard?

I've got to get up that way.

BTW- I have a Hennessey hammock, and I'm strongly thinking of getting a WBBB, do you mind telling me which version you guys have?

All of their pies are really just unbelieveable. On Sunday I actually had a peach and strawberry cobler. No trip up there is complete for me without stoping there.

Our hammock are the 1.7oz nylon withe doubled fabric. I had to go with that being the size guy I am. I have heard that there is not much difference between the diffent oz fabrics but I cannot personally account for this. I will say I am a side sleeper and with the 1.7oz double and the proper angle on the suspension I can do this with no discomfort.

I did switch out the stock suspension on mine to the all-in-one whoopie slings to save some weight (I think around 7 or 8 oz's).

I could go on all day about how much I love it. Let me know if you have any more question, always glad to help!

Jeremy

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply