About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Kite fest at Rockaway Beach

5:45 p.m. on May 16, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

On less than a perfect weekend. Friday, too much wind then rain. Saturday around 10am kites went up. But not enough wind to get up some of the harder to fly kites. At 1 pm the wind died, and down came most the kites. Sunday we woke up to rain, oh well it was a travel day.

Our car camping tent, Halford's Dugdale. Great for 2 people

100_0450.jpg

5 of our kites up. Upper right one of mine(with tail) In the middle Rita has 2 of her Deltas up. Lower left is my star, and a string of kites hooked together.
100_0457.jpg

A better picture of the string of kites. I will be remaking these to form a rainbow. The wind had died just enough to drop the star to the ground.
100_0462.jpg

In the lower left corner there was a mom and two little twin girls that were in tears. I fixed their kites for them. Nothing but smiles the rest of the day.
100_0458.jpg

Very early in the day. Rita and I picked our space, and started to spead our wings.
100_0461.jpg

100_0464.jpg
100_0463.jpg
Overall it was a good trip. Rockaway is a small fest. Next month is the Lincoln City International Kite fest. Hopefully better weather. Thanks for looking.

7:02 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

That's cool Mike,

Plus, kites are ultralight.

Did you guys stay at a campground, or just along the beach?

7:51 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Town limits, no camping on the beach. We had to stay at Barview county park. It wasnt bad. Lots of room between spots, mostly tent sites. A big thumbs up for car (tent) camping.

8:10 p.m. on May 23, 2011 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Mike this is definitely cool. I was checkin out the pics when ya first posted them. Sorry the weather wasn't better for ya. Nice gesture on your part fixing the kites for those little girls. I commend ya for that. I have been in situations like that and to see the joy on a kids face is nothing short of priceless. You're a stand up guy.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply