First three weeks at the Mormon Lake area

6:40 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I have now been cooking at the Mormon Lake Lodge 25 miles south of Flagstaff for three weeks. I hike on my days off. Here are some pictures from the area

Old-fire-tower.jpg

Old fire tower on 7900 foot peak near Mormon Lake I climbed and took this below

West-side-of-Mormon-Lake-Mormon-Mtn-and-

Looking NW at drying Mormon Lake, Mormon Mtn and the San Francisco Peaks, rom the old fire tower above.

Eroded-volcanic-rock-hillside-near-Mormo

Went to this eroded out Cinder cone on another hike

New-cones-on-Ponderosa-Pine-in-springtim

This big Ponderosa Pines cones were beginning to emerge, the tree was about 5 feet across at the base.

Its been very busy working, but the benefits include camping at the place I work for and surrounded by the national forest with plenty of hiking and mountain biking places to go. Tons of old 1800s logging roads, forestry roads and the AT, the Arizona Trail which stretches from the Mexico border to the Utah border passes within a mile of the lodge.

Thre is no iternet and I am in town todaydepositing my paycheck and getting camping suplies, topo map etc. I will b out again tomorrow and not back online till around the 26th of June on my next time in town.

6:46 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Great to hear from you Gary. Looks like it will be a good summer for you.

7:11 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I would love to have your job. But I might be flying kites for a living. What a kick doing something we like to do and making a few bucks too.

7:25 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I have a good kite and the meadow that is supposed to be Mormon Lake is a very huge place to fly them. I have forgotten about taking it out there. What test strength line should I use?

8:22 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Depends on the kite. I have some that use 5 lb line others that need 200 lb. Its good to hear from you again. Like you know I'm working at a McDs. I would love to get off work and head out to my tent. Sometimes the job sucks but we all have a give and take threshold. Yours seems ok for now. But..... Somedays I'm sure that there is alot of work. But I know you, like me, love the free time, peace and a great view. It keeps us sane.

8:29 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I get off about 11 pm on Fridays and Saturdays and 10 pm on Sundays. The rest of the week is around 9 pm.  Its nice to just go back to my tent instead of having to pedal 25 miles back to town and back again in the mornings.

My-new-cabin-tent-compared-to-my-backpac

I lived in my Mtn Hardwear tent the smaller one pictured above for the first few days and have been in the new Ozark Trails cabin tent ever since. Keeps the backpacking tent free for hiking overnight. The Mtn Hardwear is a one person tent with vestibules in the rainfly for gear. The big tent sleeps 8 and is 14X8 and is 6' 7" in the middle tall enough for me to stand. Weighs about 12 lb, compared to 4 for the backpacking one.

8:36 p.m. on June 13, 2011 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

LOL an Ozark trails tent? Now that is priceless! But in nice weather that will do. Roomy for a base camp.

8:11 p.m. on June 25, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Glad to hear Mormon Lake is working out for ya. Ya might want to pick up a couple of tarps fo the OT tent, Monsoon season is just around the corner. I'll be passing by on the AZT around the end of July, Im hoping Monsoons are in full swing by then for cooler temps and better water resources.

1:42 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Great to hear from you Gary! I'm glad you have work.

Thanks for the photos of the area too.

6:11 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

Also glad to hear from you Gary. I've been putting that Jansen BP you sold me to good use.

Wondering why you aren't staying in that USFS elevated condo instead of the base tent though :)

Be safe!

M

7:03 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Gary, was wondering what was goin on your way. Haven't seen ya on here for a bit. Glad to see everything your way is going well for ya.

Love the pics. You are in beautiful country. I would love to get out that way. Then again people out that way say that they would like to come east lol.

Either way. Good stuff. Hope all continues to go well for ya.

7:41 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

LOL an Ozark trails tent? Now that is priceless! But in nice weather that will do. Roomy for a base camp.

Wait a sec... Did I hear OZARK TRAIL? Awesome. Thats perfect for a one person... Kinda reminds me of my ol Cougar Flatts(15' x 10'.)

columbia-tent.jpg

8:25 p.m. on June 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

No Internet!  Gasp!  :-)

But, seriously, it sounds like you've got a good situation there, doing something you (presumably) like to do, in a place where you like to be.  Great!

8:23 p.m. on June 30, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I rode (bicycled)into town today and overnight have to be back to work tomorrow at 3 so will leave in the morning . Took me 2.5 hours to ride back the 25 miles in a headwind most of the way. Better than the 4.5 hours it took me last time i rode back about 6 weeks ago.

Work is still good, but slow Monday thru Thursday, am going to ask if I can work just the weekends Thursdays thru Sundays. Its too darn slow the rest of the week. I miss the busi-ness of jackson Holes summers!

3:57 p.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

So glad to hear it is going well for you Gary. Maybe if I keep heading out to the Jackson area every Fall I will get to meet you in person and do a little hiking.  

7:12 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

I plan to be in Jackson next summer. I left the lodge job as I missed my connections here in town, especially with everyone here at Trailspace! Have saved a bit so it will be a better rest of summer while doing my usual parttime work and seeking another job closer to home.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply