10 days along the Oregon coast

3:22 p.m. on July 29, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

As many of you know, or dont, Apeman is traveling down the coast on his old BMW bike. So we got together for a few brews, food and camping. I was having so much fun I almost didnt take any pictures.

100_0586.jpg

This is no backpacking trip.

100_0587.jpg

Sand, sand, wind, sand, and loads of sun. The first thing I noticed was the diferant birds, more squirels in the area. I should of listened to myself, as I reconized my voice! For the first time in this area we had Racoons. Not once but two nights they got the chips and bread.

Brian an I took a hike to Threemile Lake. It was still flooded. I think that is why these critters were down at the beach. I think the bears might have followed too.

Well Rita and I are home, Brian is on the road...... If you meet him dont make him eat food or drink a Barley Wine.

7:52 p.m. on July 29, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,246 forum posts

Looks like a good time Mike!

So it's funny that for only the second time in my life I’ve encountered the term Barley Wine within a few weeks. I tried some that a person made and brought to Grandfather Mountain a couple of weeks ago. It was quite good...

2:24 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,123 forum posts

What brand of tent is that dome? Looks huge and heavy?

3:26 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I am taking a stab at a Mountain Hardwear expedition model.

6:38 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Ricks the winner! But Brian is nothing short of overkill on everything he does. :)

7:01 p.m. on July 31, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

mike- that MH is the perfect 3 season solo.

8:04 a.m. on August 1, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Perfect for those UL trips. Room to sleep 1, with room left over for 4 growlers! LOL

But realy it is a great tent. In the morning the colors are very warm and happy. If one had to stay in it for along time, it would be very comfy.

Brian should be home soon. He will add a few words to his trip.

1:46 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I believe Sierra Designs has/had a tent with similar color configuration/pattern. I am not sure but I think it is blue and yellow.

Found it....

Sierra-Designs-Grand-Mothership-12-Exped

Is it over-kill? Not too Brian and thats what matters right? I never knock anyone for what they use... But I will always commend them for getting out there.

7:44 a.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

We had a good time with Brian. Lots of laughs. I'm hoping to see him again up in Washington. I'm sure he will bring a differant tent. He has 31 of them.

2:11 p.m. on August 2, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

31....  wow, I would love to see his storage building;)

8:37 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Mike very nice area, how far south in Oregon where you guys?  Is not down around the Dunes?  I have not been down in that are yet but I hear it is nice.  I guess you just have to stay out of the areas with the ATV's. 

When and where are you going to meet up in Washington?  On the Coast or down South?  If you don't mind me asking.  :)

I love camping on the cost it's on of my all time best things to do!

Wolfman

8:44 a.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Wolfman, we were in the dunes just south of Florence. If you love sand and wind it is great. Rita and I are going to the kite fest in Long Beach Washington. But we found that campgrounds are packed. So we are staying just on the Oregon side.

9:13 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

That should be cool!  But that the week after we get back from the coast and I know I will be busy wrapping up some jobs that week.  But have fun! 

Wolfman

11:09 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
263 reviewer rep
41 forum posts

Eel Creek campground is one of my favorite in Oregon, and it's at the edge of Oregon's largest dunes and ORVs are not allowed on the dunes.  It's 2.5 miles, over sand, to the ocean.  There are many small sand lakes with pine woods which are great for backpacking/camping.  Lots of animals out there, and some spots of quicksand. 

August 23, 2014
Quick Reply