66°North Surtsey Hat

Love this hat. Warm, windproof, looks good, fits.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Love this hat. Warm, windproof, looks good, fits. Kind of pricey.

Pros

• Windproof
  • Nice looking

Cons

• Price

I was given this hat while in Stockholm. Wore it through a Swedish winter with no complaints.

Nice hat, but not as tough as the vikings that designed…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Nice hat, but not as tough as the vikings that designed it. Internal wind barrier is a nice plus.

Pros

• Wind barrier lining

Cons

• Torn in less than a year
  • Not stretchy
  • Doesn't cover ears

I initially liked this hat when I first got it, but several weaknesses are evident. The internal wind barrier is VERY crinkly when new, but that worked (stretched) its way out shortly. The material is not super stretchy, and the hat is not large enough to cover my ears. If its very cold, I must wear my polartec beanie underneath it to stay warm.

After one simple bump into a tree branch, this knit grabbed on and pulled my hat off, leaving a nice hole. Within a week, the hole tripled in size, fortunately I had a small patch laying around the house. I'm sad to say, this is not my daily wear anymore.

If you've owned or used a 66°North Surtsey Hat, please share your experience.

66°North Surtsey Hat

The 66°North Surtsey Hat is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Sierra Trading Post.

If you're looking for a new winter hat, check out the best reviewed current models.

Fabric Acrylic