There are only a couple of things I'm comfortable…

Pros

• Function
  • Quality
  • Versatility
  • Looks

Cons

• High-volume

There are only a couple of things I'm comfortable with dropping some real money on when it comes to my gear and that's backpacks and boots. Yeah, the AKU Suiterra comes with a hefty price tag, (although STP offers them at a greatly reduced price) but the payoff has been well worth it.

These handcrafted boots are made in Romania and just scream quality. While they are a touch heavier than a typical mid-hiker (3 pounds), this is a boot that excels in all weather and terrain conditions. A good choice by Backpacker Magazine for its 2011 "Most Versatile Boot" award.

With exceptional waterproof protection via a Gore-Tex membrane, a Vibram sole, rock solid toe protection, good breathability and an extra high ankle cuff,  I'm as comfortable with these on a day hike as I am on an extended backcountry trip.

The very sturdy boots do require some break-in but nothing out of the ordinary.

One thing to note. I had read reviews stating that users found the boot to be best-suited for narrow, "low-volume" feet which is what I have. I found the opposite to be true.  After my purchase I ran across another review that said the boot is best for high-volume feet. I'd lean this way. Although playing around with some different lacing techniques has helped me dial these in to where I want them.

I would highly recommend this boot to the hiker who wants a quality, versatile and great looking addition to their gear.

149aaa.jpg