There are only a couple of things I'm comfortable…

• Function
  • Quality
  • Versatility
  • Looks

• High-volume

There are only a couple of things I'm comfortable with dropping some real money on when it comes to my gear and that's backpacks and boots. Yeah, the AKU Suiterra comes with a hefty price tag, (although STP offers them at a greatly reduced price) but the payoff has been well worth it.

These handcrafted boots are made in Romania and just scream quality. While they are a touch heavier than a typical mid-hiker (3 pounds), this is a boot that excels in all weather and terrain conditions. A good choice by Backpacker Magazine for its 2011 "Most Versatile Boot" award.

With exceptional waterproof protection via a Gore-Tex membrane, a Vibram sole, rock solid toe protection, good breathability and an extra high ankle cuff,  I'm as comfortable with these on a day hike as I am on an extended backcountry trip.

The very sturdy boots do require some break-in but nothing out of the ordinary.

One thing to note. I had read reviews stating that users found the boot to be best-suited for narrow, "low-volume" feet which is what I have. I found the opposite to be true.  After my purchase I ran across another review that said the boot is best for high-volume feet. I'd lean this way. Although playing around with some different lacing techniques has helped me dial these in to where I want them.

I would highly recommend this boot to the hiker who wants a quality, versatile and great looking addition to their gear.

AKU Suiterra Suede GTX

The AKU Suiterra Suede GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review